Friday, November 16, 2012

Mini review: My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent

Title: My Soul To Lose (Soul Screamers #0.5)
Author: Rachel Vincent
Published: July 1st 2009
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.

She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....
I jumped into this series without knowing that much about it. People were gushing and raving about this series everywhere and I just couldn't look pass it anymore, so I had to see what it's about.

Kaylee is at the mall with her friend Emma and they're trying to figure out a revenge plan on Kaylee's ex as well as shop for homecoming. Then all of a sudden Kaylee feels the urge to scream the heck out of her, because she sees shadows creeping upon a child in a wheelchair and when she starts, she doesn't stop. The next time she's conscious Kaylee realizes she's been commited to a mental hospital. How did it happen and how, when and if she can leave is up for you to find out.

The first half of the prequel was intriguing, but I couldn't read more than 5 pages tops every night. My eyelids grew as heavy as rock and I felt like this book didn't attract me at all. I found this whole situation rather confusing and this mental institution just pushed me away even more.

 However, after complaining about it on Goodreads, I gave myself a promise to finish this ASAP in order to finaly start the real book. I was glad I did, because as soon as I started reading it got interesting all of a sudden. The last ten pages were fantastic and I'm anxious to find out more. If it's anything like the second half of the prequel I'll read it with pure pleasure!

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Website Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to read this series because I'm a HUGE fan of her Shifters series. She's one of those authors who's not afraid to torture her characters and tear them down before building them back up, and I think that makes her books really interesting because you never really know what to expect. There's no safety net, no guarantee of "oh that will definitely never happen". Sorry the prequel didn't wow you, I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the first book! Hopefully it will be like the latter half of this one:)

    ReplyDelete