Thursday, April 17, 2014

Review: Believe by Erin McCarthy

Title: Believe (True Believers #3)
Author: Erin McCarthy
Published: January 21st 2014
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

Robin used to be a party girl… until she got black out drunk and woke up in bed with her best friend's boyfriend. Now she's faced with being THAT girl, and couldn't be more disgusted with herself. She can't even tell her friends the reason for her sudden sobriety and she avoids everyone until she meets Phoenix—quiet, tattooed, and different in every way that's good and oh, so bad…
Phoenix is two days out of jail when he meets Robin at his cousin's house, and he knows that he has no business talking to her, but he's drawn to her quiet demeanor, sweet smile, and artistic talent. She doesn't care that he's done time, or that he only has five bucks to his name, and she supports his goal to be a tattoo artist.
But Phoenix knows Robin has a secret, and that it's a naïve dream to believe that his record won't catch up with them at some point. Though neither is prepared for the explosive result when the past collides with the present…

I like how Erin McCarthy’s New Adult debut series is made of companion novels so we get to concentrate on a different couple in every book. That’s pretty awesome since all of their stories are so very different and driven by unique pasts and happenings compared to the rest of the couples. Believe tells the story of Robin & Phoenix and if you’ve read the ending of Sweet? How could you not be intrigued by these two :)

"I missed the whole summer," he murmured. "But none of it would have been as good as today was anyways."

So it is about the aftermath of a cheating incidence. Robin accidentally slept with her best friend’s boyfriend and it’s even worse because she can’t remember anything of it. She has isolated herself from her friends, has been sober ever since (she used to be the party girl so that’s huge for her) and the guy she was with keeps harassing her to do more. She doesn’t want to tell her friends because she doesn’t want to break her best friend’s heart and I really felt for her which isn’t something I thought I would do—I wasn’t expecting to sympathize with Robin. It helped that she was utterly disgusted by her actions even if she couldn’t remember them.

Then we have Phoenix who is an ex-convict and has just gotten out of jail. They meet during an awkward moment in the Manning’s house (Phoenix is Riley and Tyler’s cousin). I really liked their chemistry and the bond they formed over art—it was extremely cute. However, it was a little insta-love-ish. Ok a lot, insta-love-ish, because the L-bomb was dropped too early in my opinion (and even though I liked Phoenix, he sounded a little like a creep in his POV at first), but it kind of felt natural at the same time because they were so similar and the attraction was definitely there from the start.

Phoenix has a secret of his own though—his illness that he’s trying so hard to work through and that’s basically all anyone can ever ask for. I’m very pleased that the author decided to write this into the story. Phoenix has a lot of tattoos and the one he got during this novel kind of creeped me out. Okay, not kind of, but actually like a lot. O.o Then again, it goes with these two since they’re very intense in their relationship. It was me that was a bit put off by this tattoo.

One more thing, Robin’s family was awesome, though at the same time Phoenix’s mom was very wtf for me. I don’t understand how she could give such good advice considering she was a drug addict and based on Phoenix’s memories she wasn’t a very good mother. It didn’t feel that consistent regarding the story and the characters, but someone had to take away Phoenix’s insecurities and I guess that’s why the pep talk scene was there.

I felt so bad for the girl who got cheated on, but I’m looking forward to her journey towards happiness and the sneak peek at the end of Believe indicated that we have yet another type of story in our hands soon and that’s pretty darn exciting. Even though I wasn’t as big of a fan of this book as I was of True, I still enjoyed it and can’t wait for more.

Rating: 3.3 out of 5.0
Stars: ★★★

Meet the author

Website Facebook Twitter Goodreads

22 comments:

  1. it's been a while since I read a book by this author. I loved her chick-lit/PNR series about vampires, it was fun, but I haven't read anything else. Maybe one day. thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah this book definitely seems to have a lot going on for it, and how intense does their relationship sound? I think I would be kind of put off by the insta love aspect, but there are a couple of things which do have me curious like Phoenix's tattoo, I'm always a sucker for a guy with tatts, so want to know which one you didn't like 0_O. Lovely review as always Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DNFed the first book in this series and never bothered to pick up the rest. Judging from your review, I don't think this is going to be a hit for me anyways. I'm curious to know what Phoenix's illness is though and I don't think I've read an NA that has tackled that before. Also, yay for a strong family portrayal.
    Great review, Siiri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This series reminds me of Losing It series. They focus on a different set of couples but they have like a cameo from a different the previous book which I really enjoy. They don't actually forget all the characters. Anyways back on to Believe, I have all of these on my kindle and like Hothouse Flower and their NA books I will be starting these very soon. Brilliant review, my lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is one type of cheating story that I can handle. Robin clearly feels awful about what happened, and while that doesn't excuse it of course, it goes a long way in making me want to forgive her. I so love Erin's books, and I'm glad we're going to get Robin's best friend's story at some point:) You have me insanely curious about this tattoo as well, I really, really want to know what it is and why it creeped you out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Accidentally cheating? That sounds like a guy excuse haha :) I don't mind cheating in books as long as it's done well...
    I never read the first book in this series because I just can't bring myself to read another virgin book at the moment. My quota is one this year and that is reserved for Foreplay by Sophie Jordan which I have coming up soon. Sorry this one didn't wow you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least it's a better kind of cheating - the one where the people actually feel some sort of remorse. It's because of cheating that I take great pains and efforts to avoid romance books. It's something that I've personally felt and have been affected by, and it's not a pretty sight at all, and I refuse to support books that romanticize it. At least this one feels sorry for it. Great review, love!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. What! Wait there is no suck thing as accidentally cheating. Wow...I lead a boring life...LOL. Hmm, I am glad you joining bits and are still looking forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds pretty interesting. At least the character felt remorse for the cheating incident because there are those characters that feel absolutely nothing and don't care. I hope you like the next book Siiri!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, the typical "I accidentally cheated on you" thing. That does not happen in real life lol! Anyway, lovely review Siiri!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read a lot of reviews for this, and I think I would really love this series. I don't think I would consider Robin as betraying her friend if she was black out drunk. That says rape to me, or at least very dubious consent.
    I'm glad you enjoyed Believe, Siiri. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really felt bad for Robin who I felt ultimately was a victim of Nathan's rather than a willing participant in cheating. I'm trying to remember the tattoo, but I'm thinking it was of Robin, right? The insta-love didn't really bother me in this case. I think they were both in an intense and vulnerable place which made their mutual need understandable to me. Sorry you didn't end up enjoying this as much as I did, Siiri. I'm really looking forward to the next in the series, too. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a big fan of books that feature cheaters. I'm currently in the midst of planning my wedding, so I'm trying to stay away from these types of reads. Must think happy thoughts... and not kill my in-laws. ;) Great review though, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Normally, any form of cheating in books, or accidentally sleeping with people you shouldn't have, really puts me off... but this sounds like something I could just about deal with. I like companion novels that focus on different couples, especially when the stories are varied and unique. And I'm kind of curious about this tattoo that creeped you out, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do NOT like books with cheaters but I also think that there is a certain way of handling the situation that won't make you want to throttle the characters.

    I haven't picked anything by this author yet but have heard both good and bad things about this series so I am not completely sure... especially since NA and I aren't the best of friends :P

    Lovely review, Siiri!!! <3

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  16. *le sigh* I mean this sound interesting and somehow I'd love to read it but I know I'll hate it because of cheating. No really. I have read a book lately where some minor character is cheating her boyfriend and it lowered my rating for few stars. This author is new to me and I'm really glad you enjoyed it but I'm staying away. Great review, Siiri :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't read books with cheating in them - it just enrages me - so I think this will have to be a miss for me. I'm not a huge New Adult fan to begin with anyway! ;) Thanks so much for sharing though Siiri, glad you enjoyed it despite its flaws!

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm very intrigued on this author's take on the usual "I cheated with my bestfriend's boyfriend" storyline. It's refreshing to see that Robin is disgusted with her actions, rather than just blow it off like it was her right and to blame the alcohol. Never read any one the author's work before, but I'm very keen to start now. Wonderful review Siiri! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was on the fence with this author, but I think I'll put her on hold - at least for now. I don't think I'd enjoy reading this very much.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  20. might have missed it but kind of curious about the creepy tattoo now.

    I don't know... I also been on the fence with this author, just haven't been feeling it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love companion series! I haven't read these b/c they seem a little too angsty for me. But I really feel for this heroine, and I love to see that she turns herself around and tries to do the right thing after the incident. This guy sounds great, but insta love and love tattoos make me nervous too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hm,I will see about reading this book :D
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete