Monday, July 29, 2013

Review: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices #3)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Published: May 19th 2013
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo The Book Depository

A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.
Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.
As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?
Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

Before I start with this review, my apologies in advance for most likely the longest review I've ever written. The book is the size of a beast and I have so many feeeeeellllzzz that I just need to get them out there.

When I finished the first four books in The Mortal Instruments series, I wanted to read something else by Cassie and since the first two in The Infernal Devices were out, I gave them a try. I didn’t immediately love the characters since let’s face it, I had become to love the ones in TMI and I read TID right after. However, now that I think about it, I was way too harsh with my Clockwork Angel review and when I really think about it, TID series is maybe even better in my eyes.



“A very magnanimous statement, Gideon,” said Magnus.
“I’m Gabriel.”
Magnus waved a hand. “All Lightwoods look the same to me.” 


We pick up shortly after where Clockwork Prince ended. Everything is such a mess. Tessa getting ready for her wedding, one of the guys being upset about it and trying not to show it to the rest of the world. Oh boy, did that pain kill me in every single scene. The Magister is gathering his forces to attack and Charlotte’s position as the head of London’s institute is in jeopardy thanks to the very ambitious, jealous and conniving consul Wayland. I felt so darn bad for Charlotte – she has worked her butt off to protect the Shadowhunters and her loved ones and everything might be ripped away by that awful consul who’s threatened by a woman. What a jackass.

Cassie takes no time to jump into action as the Lightwoods have a problem they need help to solve. Here are a few questions that came to mind while I was reading Clockwork Princess: why haven’t I noticed how amazing Gabriel Lightwood is? Why wasn’t I initially excited about the fact that Cecily came to the institute? Why did Cassie make me feel ALL of that with this plot of surprising revelations and complex relationships? It was a brutal ugly crying in some of the scenes, but sadness wasn’t the only emotion brought out in me as Will and Magnus made me laugh out loud on several occasions and excitement ran in my blood with every page turn. The quote above portrays perfectly why these two make such great friends.

The characters in this story are multi-dimensional and very enjoyable. I came to love every single one of them in my own way. I was surprised how much questions were answered, however, I agree with some of the readers that a few of them were a little too vague. Did I mention that I became to love Cecily and Gabriel? Ohhhhh, man! LOVE THESE TWO SO HARD. It was pretty incredulous though how everyone found their soul-mates. Among the people in Institute, nevertheless. Awkward, but understandable. Also, I’m not complaining since most of these were my OTP-s.

This review is already too darn long, but the ending deserves a paragraph on its own, so bare with me, alright? I have mixed feelings about this one. I loved it and at the same time I hated it. I’m more than sure that most of the fandom is satisfied with this solution and in some ways, I am too. However, I feel like it was too easy. Maybe City of Heavenly Fire will explain to us how the impossible turned out to be possible, but it feels a little icky for me. I loved both of the guys and let’s face it, when every single person in a love triangle loves the other two more than life itself, it’s bound to be tough. The epilogue… It didn’t leave a good taste in my mouth if you know what I mean. I am happy, I’m truly happy, but do I understand? No, I don’t. Not on all levels. I understand why Cassie wrote it that way though, but I still dont give thumbs up to this solution.

To sum up one of the longest reviews I have ever written, this book is a beast in the best way possible. It comes at you with all these emotions and makes you feel ALL the feels there is to feel. I loved almost every single part of it and I truly recommend you to read these books. All I need now is to get the first two in hardcovers so I can put myself through heart ache again and again. I’m a masochist like that, lol. In all honesty, I adored this book and it was a great way to end a series. *fingers crossed it won’t be continued (and ruined)*

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Website | Blog Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

9 comments:

  1. I just skimmed your review because I have the entire series, but haven't started it yet. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the book so much despite it being a pretty hefty read. I love it when a series ends with a bang and this one seems to have done exactly that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored the ending, and so glad you got your feelings out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't even make myself read this. I don't know why, but I think I'm on Cassandra Clare burnout. Too much. but I do love her books, so I don't know. I was never sold on this love triangle, for sure.
    Anyway, awesome review, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is huge. That's partially why it's still sitting on my shelf, unread... though that may also be because of having been spoiled about the ending not long after the book's release.

    And woah!! I actually always liked TID more than TMI because of the characters and setting and despite the love triangle :D. I'm kinda curious now about your Clockwork Angel review o.O.

    What! Cecily and Gabriel get together?!?!? lol, I hadn't read about that just yet o.O.
    That must make for some interesting tension and banter.

    It's funny that you mention the ending for the triangle not being that satisfying. She took somewhat of a risk with that, since I haven't seen many books ever end that way... but (lol) even without having read the book, I feel a little squicky about it.

    (WHAT WHAT WHAT, looking at the comment Aman made. Another series with their kids???)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This ending did not leave the greatest impression on me, but I'm glad you loved it, Siiri. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I skimmed your review Siiri because I've only read the first book in this series. I need to get caught up! I'm glad you loved it so much, I know the epilogue really split readers and left a bad taste in many peoples' mouths, so it makes me happy that you were a fan of this book as a whole. Cassandra Clare is a master at making me have ALL THE FEELS, so I have no doubt she'll continue to do so with this final book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I COMPLETELY agree with you about the epilogue. It was the one true part of the book that I had mixed feelings about. Although I was REALLY happy with the actual ending, the epilogue... it felt like someone was raining on my parade. Other than that, I was totally in love with this book. I definitely appreciated the Lightwoods and Cecily far more here. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one seems to be a home run with everyone who has read the series. I still haven't read the first one (Have I been living under a rock?!) Happy to see that the series finished on such a high note for you, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reviews where you just have to get out all of your FEELs no matter how long it takes! And I'm pretty sure that all of my reviews are longer than this one :). Anyway, lovely lovely thoughts on a book that I agree is the strongest of CC's novels. You're right though, things seem to work out pretty perfectly for everyone, which is perhaps a bit much, but I'm totally going to go for it. I totally understand your thoughts on the epilogue, I've seen lots of mixed feelings on it. Glad you loved this book as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete