Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Mini-reviews: Roar & Liv; Brooke by Veronica Rossi

Title: Liv and Roar (Under the Never Sky #0.5)
Author: Veronica Rossi
Published: October 30th 2012
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon Barnes & Noble

Before Perry and Aria, there was Roar and Liv. After a childhood spent wandering the borderlands, Roar finally feels like he has a home with the Tides. His best friend Perry is like a brother to him, and Perry's sister, Liv, is the love of his life. But Perry and Liv's unpredictable older brother, Vale, is the Blood Lord of the Tides, and he has never looked kindly on Roar and Liv's union. Normally, Roar couldn't care less about Vale's opinion. But with food running low and conditions worsening every day, Vale's leadership is more vital—and more brutal—than ever. Desperate to protect his tribe, Vale makes a decision that will shatter the life Roar knew and change the fate of the Tides forever.

They say that your heart is the size of your fist. I have very small hands. My thoughts after finishing Roar and Liv’s novella were something along like this: “I think I [just] broke my already tiny heart into a million, even smaller pieces. What kind of a cruel joke is this???” I loved being inside Roar’s head and seeing his POV on things. His relationship with Perry got a whole new meaning and this one quote made me smile while at the same time want to sob like crazy:


Perry looks right at me. "What do you think we are?"
.........
"You're better than a brother," he says. 
*sobs uncontrollably*

I truly came to understand Roar and his pain now. He is one of the most loyal, caring, sweet, thoughtful characters I have ever read about and above all an amazing friend. He will always be one of my favorite fictional characters and if you haven’t read this novella yet, give it a go! It’s amazing how much Rossi can make you feel in so few pages. Plus, who can pass up an extra dose of Roar? Anyone? Yeah, didn’t think so:)

Overall rating: 4.8 out of 5.0
Stars: ★★★★★


Title: Brooke (Under the Never Sky #2.5)
Author: Veronica Rossi
Published: November 26th 2013
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon Barnes & Noble

Set just before the events of Into the Still Blue, the conclusion to Veronica Rossi's Under the Never Sky trilogy, this breathtaking novella is a satisfying stand-alone for new readers as well as an exciting glimpse at favorite characters from the trilogy. Pulsing with romance and danger, Brooke will leave readers desperate for the conclusion to this epic and unforgettable saga.

What a gorgeous cover! These pinkish and purple-ish colors suit well with this novella. I thought I’d hate Brooke’s view on things, but I actually found myself enjoying it. Since I’m a huge Perry & Aria shipper, I naturally dislike anyone who tries to tear them apart, but Brooke’s reaction was normal and expected in Through the Ever Night and even in her novella. The realizations she has were natural, well-written and I’m really glad for her. Reading this will help you realize the sudden change in her in Into the Still Blue and I appreciated the glance into her mind. 

Also, SOREN!!! I hated his guts in Under the Never Sky, but slowly, he made his way into my heart and I became to root for him. I had two ships in this novella, though in all honesty I’m rooting for only one at this point. [Well, I was. Since I read Into the Still Blue right after and my review will be up tomorrow.] Who are they? Um. I ship Brooke with either Hayden or Soren. Yeah. These two would make great pairings with this female warrior and I like these possibilities. All in all, it wasn’t anything special, but I really appreciated this novella and I think it’s worth exploring. Plus, some really cute Aria and Perry moments even when she’s unconscious and fighting for her life:)

Overall rating: 3.3 out of 5.0
Stars: ★★★

Meet the author

Website Facebook Twitter Goodreads

13 comments:

  1. I haven't read these novellas yet, mostly because a certain novella of a certain series has scarred me for life, but I think after your review, I'm going to read Roar and Liv's story. I can tell I'm going to be an emotional mess. I'm sincerely hoping for a companion novel for Roar because no one deserves to be happier than him.

    I ship Brooke and Soren too. They make a really good couple because they are so stubborn. Who is Hayden? Have we met him in the UtNS series? I'm so bad with secondary characters ...

    Great reviews, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayden? He was one of the three brothers of the Six. (Perry's friends from the end of UtNS and then all throughout the series.) I adored him and his humour. And it's okay, I don't always remember secondaries either ;)

      Delete
  2. I have not read this series by Rossi but even Roar's name does not escape my ears! I even thought he was even more popular than the main characters haha. I really need to get to them soon and read these novellas myself so I can relate AND fangirl with the rest of you. I have a feeling I'll be loving Roar more than anyone though... haha.

    Faye @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit Siiri!!!! WHY AM I SO FAR BEHIND ON THIS SERIES?! Unacceptable. I've only read book one, but I LOVED it, particularly Roar, so I'm excited to get caught up and read these novellas as well. I just have heard so many great things about how his relationship with Aria progresses and I can't wait to read about that friendship. I could hug Veronica Rossi for writing such a strong male/female friendship that doesn't have romantic undertones:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, don't hit me *runs from keyboard* I started this series but I couldn't get into it as first... maybe because my head or heart wasn't in it and I hate, HATE when that happens when you have so many people, like yourself really enjoying this series. I want to read it again. I want to fangirl about Perry and Ari and now Roar and Liv... I will get this series (again) soon. :) Great reviews Siiri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do these have to be read in order in the series? Some novellas can be read after but I know some are very important to the story. I'm planning on reading book 2 very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend the publishing order: Under the Never Sky, Roar & Liv, Through the Ever Night, Brooke, Into the Still Blue. Though, if you want to, you can skip the novellas or read them after, but they compliment the main books perfectly and give great additional emotions and feelings to the emotions that will probably take over when you read #2 and #3, plus will make you understand the decisions and happenings in #2 and #3 even better.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of the novellas in this series, but I really enjoy the trilogy :) Great mini reviews!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so need to finish this series! I don't usually read novellas but I like them when they're part of a series and you get glimpses of characters and relationships like this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap! I don't know if I've ever heard if Brooke's novella!

    And yes, so much Roar. *sniffles* One of my favorite characters ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know why I haven't read these yet, especially the Roar and Liv one since I LOVE Roar. I wish I could kidnap him from Rossi and make him mine forever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hehe I have not read this series yet embarrassed!
    Glad you been enjoying the novellas in this one, seems like it really added to the overall series :D curious about Roar yup I am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't even know there was a Brooke novella! I am clearly out of the loop. :-) So glad these were enjoyable, and I'm totally with you on shipping Soren and Brooke!

    ReplyDelete