Thursday, February 27, 2014

Review: Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi

Title: Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky #3)
Author: Veronica Rossi
Published: January 28th 2014
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do--and they are just as determined to stay together.
Within the confines of a cave they're using as a makeshift refuge, they struggle to reconcile their people, Dwellers and Outsiders, who are united only in their hatred of their desperate situation. Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. Then Roar arrives in a grief-stricken fury, endangering all with his need for revenge.
Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble an unlikely team for an impossible rescue mission. Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival--he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.

This series is like a futuristic, youthful version of the Game of Thrones what with its tribes, traditions, power hungry rulers, betrayals, alliances, family, love and, most of all, fighting for survival. It has quickly become one of my favorite series and I will recommend it to everyone who takes a minute to listen. Into the Still Blue was basically everything I hoped for and in some ways even more.

“Try to sleep. Tomorrow’s coming, whether we worry about it or not.”

I like how it starts with jumping right into action. Yes, there is some strategy talk for obvious reasons, but it doesn’t take a lot of time to dwell on these things and the plot is quickly set into motion. The plot was predictable, but it still managed to keep the edge and I liked how we got even more growth from the characters which I thought would be impossible.

What else? Want to know about my favorite swoon scenes? Let's see... The nickname scene. The flirting in chapter 33? SWOON! *fans self* Watching Perry ramble—the cutest thing ever!!! Chapter 35 was, I think, the best thing romance wise in this book and I absolutely adored it and couldn’t have wiped the grin off my face even if I had wanted to :’)


Yeah, I basically looked a lot like this throughout that chapter.

When I realized what Perry had seen in one scene when captured (those of you who have read, know what I’m talking about), I was quite honestly shocked and so ready for the confirmation. Guess what? We didn’t have to wait for 100 or more pages to get it, it was confirmed in the very next chapter from Aria’s point of view. Also, Cinder and Perry’s friendship was heartwarming and so sad *gets teary-eyed when thinking about it* I love how almost everyone in the tribe cared for this little boy and made him one of their own.

I adore good villains and though it seemed like there were villains everywhere throughout the series: Hess, Vale, the creatures/tribes in the forests—none of them compare to Sable. During most of Into the Still Blue, and especially during chapter 44, I wanted to punch Sable in the face so bad, you have no idea *scowls* He is just so vicious and cunning and.. I can’t even begin to describe my hate for the guy, but this shows how great of a storyteller Rossi is.

My only few complaints about this book are the predictability and, also, never once was I afraid for my favorite characters. Yes, there are a lot of deaths—even some of the main secondary ones—but I still felt like all would be well for those who my heart was sired to the most. Rendered would be the best word though, because when they felt down, I felt down; when Perry, Roar and Aria felt happy, I couldn’t hide my own smile.

So, the plot got 2 points form me (you can predict everything that's about to go down based on the previous books) and everything else (characters, world and writing) get 5 points so there you go—the explanation regarding the rating.

To sum alllll of the previous talk up, this is how you end a series, ladies and gents! This is how you do justice to yourself, the characters and the readers. It was a great ending to a marvelous series and I cannot wait for more by Veronica Rossi. PS. It’s not related to the plot or anything, but the very last line of acknowledgements made me teary-eyed—it was absolutely beautifully said.

Overall rating: 4.3 out of 5.0
Stars: ★★★★

Meet the author

Website Facebook Twitter Goodreads



Annnnd this is basically what every single one of these books from this series looks like on my shelf. Couldn't help myself. So much goodness to re-read every now and then:)

19 comments:

  1. This was definitely such a great end to the series! I really wasn't a huge fan of Under The Never Sky, but Through The Ever Night and Into The Still Blue were just fantastic and I'm so glad I carried on with this series and got to see Aria and Perry's story through to the end! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes! This book was absolutely fantastic--though I did feel that the ending was a little rushed. Still a little sad about saying goodbye to Aria, Roar and Perry. *sniffle*

    Awesome review, Siiri! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha I love your post it notes Siiri, my copy of Stealing Parker ended up like this! I agree the predictability did annoy me a few times and like Melanie mentioned the ending was a bit too rushed, but I adored being in this fantastic world once more, with such fabulous characters. And one character in particular, I think you know who I mean, just surprised me in so many ways! Gorgeous review as always Siiri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I love this review, Siiri! I'll be writing down those favorite romance scenes so I can take particular attention. That gif is great and even greater that you felt like that throughout! Good villains are always good too. It IS a bit disappointing that it was predictable since feeling too scared is sometimes too much for me in a book, I do want to be left wondering, you know? Lovely review as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy you loved this as much as I did, Siiri. This was truly wonderful and I'm forever grateful to Veronica Rossi for writing such a great series. I agree with you on the predictability, but still, it's hard not to love this because, let's face it, Perry is more than enough to make this series strong! ;)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to get caught up on this series Siiri, but I'm so glad to see you thought it was a fantastic ending. So many series ends have been disappointing for people lately, but this one seems to have satisfied everyone. At least of the reviews I've read:) I can't wait to get back to Aria and Perry, and I doubt I'll even mind the predictability. I crave predictability when I love characters as much as I do the ones in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do feel like there was a lot of villains as well. I just didn't realize it until you mentioned it! lol And I love Perry and Aria's relationship :) It is just so adorable to me! I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh, I skimmed because I was afraid of spoilers but I read the words swoon in there. I loved how mature the first book was and I'm excited to continue with these books :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the whole series in a week, so I was fresh of the previous books when I read this one. Probably explains my 5-star rating in GR. It's true about being "rendered" to our favorite characters. Perry and Aria equally grew into me, as did Roar, but I did miss Roar's spunky quips in this book. I loved him and Aria's teasing banters. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sticky note marks look so neat and organized! I'm jealous, and I'd hate for you to see my sticky noted books! Lol! I love this series, and the this last book had lots of swoon and heartbreak. I was very sad about a couple of characters.

    I'm trying to remember what you're talking about here: "When I realized what Perry had seen in one scene when captured (those of you who have read, know what I’m talking about), I was quite honestly shocked and so ready for the confirmation. Guess what? We didn’t have to wait for 100 or more pages to get it, it was confirmed in the very next chapter from Aria’s point of view. "

    It's been a while since I read this and I can't remember! Lol Wonderful review, my dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whew! I am so relieved you loved Into thr Still Blue. I got all teary-eyed just reading your review and remembering how much I loved it.
    Great review, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, yes. During that scene when Perry was captured and Aria got to visit him, I was bawling and I just wanted to punch Sable in the face. Repeatedly. I'm so glad Perry got to avenge himself and everyone else that monster terrorized.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! This review make me happy and this book makes me happy. Perry and Aria make me swoon so hard. I know exactly what you mean by that. But I agree, the friendships are my other favorite element of this story. Rossi is very good with relationships. I think that's where she excels over plot. That said, I was so relieved to get a happy, positive conclusion to this series. So many Harper ends have upset me recently. This was a breath of fresh air. I didn't mind the predictability, though I will say that I didn't guess everything, especially through the middle. Love this gushing review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your comparison to GoT makes me really excited to pick up this series, it sounds like so much more than your typical dystopian read! Lovely review Siiri, glad to hear you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those bookmarks tell me all I need to know. I seriously have no more excuses when it comes to this series. I've decided that this year I'm going to tackle all the series I've been putting aside. Now I cannot run from that. I love Throne of Glass so I have no doubts I'll love this one as well and that romance sounds like something I need to see. Great review, Siiri :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will read this series as soon as I buy the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ha... younger version of game of thrones? Never heard of it put that way.

    Anyway, glad you liked the ending. I heard it was very powerful in this book so it's great to hear, especially since last books in the series make me wary of endings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, yes, Perry rambling is all kinds of adorable! I really adored this ending, and even though I also never really feared for my favorite characters, it was still a fun ride. Now you have me curious to go back and read the acknowledgments! Fantastic review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. An amazing ending to the trilogy! I wish it wouldn't have ended. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves romance and suspense. Thank you Veronica Rossi and I look forward to any other books you might write.
    Best prompt Orange County NY maid service

    ReplyDelete