Friday, February 28, 2014

On where to go and places to visit in Estonia

This month's Fridays have all been about Estonia and while the last two topics were provided by Mel [The Daily Prophecy] and Rachel [The Reader's Den], the final topic was provided by Lauren [Love is Not a Triangle] and she asked this: "Are there any important historic or cultural sites in Estonia?"

Yesterday [Wednesday] I had the longest day in lab with a friend of mine and I asked her to think about some answers for Lauren's questions and together we came up with the following.

Source
The Old Town. This is most definitely the place you have to visit and see. Lots of lovely boutiques, interesting restorans and pubs, the night life there is awesome and the sights are beautiful. You can climb different towers and see the view of the city centre. For me it's not that special anymore, because I've been there a thousand times and more (who's even counting?), but for a tourist I imagine it's a great sight. (On the right you can see a picture of the Old Town in Tallinn.)

The Estonian Open Air Museum. I used to go there a lot when I was a kid. Different school trips there during different seasons--you get to see how people used to live and where they'd study and I think there was even a day spent there where we got to do calliagraphy of our names or something. It's a really cool place to visit. Close to the museum there's a huge shopping center and a zoo. The beach is near. During summer there is usually an amusement park opened throughout certain periods. What's not to like? One can make an extremely fun day with tons of activities in that area.

Katusekino. Then if you're staying for longer, perhaps you'd want to visit this place which in English translates um.. Rooftop Cinema? I still haven't been there myself, but I have heard nothing but amazing things. You can check out the pictures and everything when you click on the link and see for yourself what it's all about.

If you want to see beautiful nature, you should visit the Southern parts of Estonia or go to different islands, because there are so many of them. If you're an art fan, you can visit KuMu which is the Art Museum. If you're a fan of music, there are so many music events throughout the year, but especially during the summer. If you're a fan of opera and ballet, you should most definitely go to the National Opera house and see a play (even though I'm not a fan, I've been to some of the plays and they're stunning and full of humour; I haven't seen that much ballet and opera, but operettas have been outsanding and quite brilliant). If you're interested in historical things, then there are so many museums (inside as well as open-air) to see and, of course, visiting the Old Town is a must. This next video basically shows it all and even more:


There's lots and lots to do and if you ever need advice or have specific questions, you can always contact me and ask:) If you need more suggestions, you can visit this page. I'm sure Google will give you much more information, but these were some of the things we could think of.

I hope you enjoyed this month's Fridays and I also hope it was as much fun for you as it was for me :)

12 comments:

  1. Your country looks amazing. I love the pictures from 'The old town'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only made it to Old Town of course since we were in Estonia for a grand total of 8 hours I think, but I would love to go back and check out the other sights you mentioned! It's just so pretty there Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WANT TO VISIT ESTONIA! Thank you so much for answering my questions. I love history, art and historical sites, especially when I get to see them where they were built and not just in a museum. Though I love museums too. You guys have such rich culture in Europe that has been around far longer than us in America. One day I'll come and you can show it all to me. Old Town sounds delightful - you can give a tour. And I'd love to see the Rooftop Cinema. Have you seen the movie Chasing Liberty? Is it like the cinema they watch outside there? I think they're in Prague. I love the idea of open air museums too. Oh I have another question: what is your climate like? Do you have cold and snow right now? When are your seasons? I just read a book set in Russia and it was winter in like October there. I know you're pretty far north, is it like that or do you have more warmth? Maybe you can answer that whenever you do this again. Anyway, GREAT feature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ;__; Estonia! I wanna go there right about now! I want museums and boutiques and lovely places to visit! Hey, if I visit there, mind touring me around? Haha, just kidding! I'm more interested in the food though... I've always believed you discover a country's culture through their food. Do you think you could follow-up with some interesting cuisine? ;)

    Faye @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Lauren I so want to visit Estonia now!! I loved Prague when I went there a few years back and you mentioning Old Town reminded me of the Old Town there. And all the places you mentioned look absolutely gorgeous! And I would definitely love to visit the opera house too! I think I definitely need to visit some time soon. Thank you once again for sharing such a fabulous post with us Siiri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Siiri! Estonia is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I like please go to Estonia now? LIKE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IT SOUNDS SO AWESOME.

    Thanks for sharing, Siiri! <33

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Old Town looks amazing. I love it! I mean the whole city seems amazing from that video but the Old Town is something that somehow seems most appealing to me. Thank you so much for sharing about your country and I'm so happy to learn more about Estonia. I shall do this someday with Bosnia I guess. Great post, Siiri :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Just beautiful. I need to go to the open air museum! And a rooftop cinema? Magic.
    What a wonderful place indeed <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Estonia sounds so beautiful and so full of rich history and everything. You would make an awesome travel agent Siiri! I love the sound of the Open Air Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to visit the Old Town, in fact it's exactly the type of place I usually try and see on holiday. You live in such a gorgeous place, Siiri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tallinn looks like a wonderful place. Old Town sounds exactly like the sort of place that I'd love to visit too, and you've basically made me very eager to travel to Estonia one day. Also, the water in that picture looks GLORIOUS. Not like the mud-coloured crap that I'm used to over here. :P Great question from Lauren, and I love your brilliant response!

    ReplyDelete