Friday, September 13, 2013

Review: Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Title: Everbound (Everneath #2)
Author: Brodi Ashton
Published: January 22nd 2013
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

Nikki Beckett could only watch as her boyfriend, Jack, sacrificed himself to save her, taking her place in the Tunnels of the Everneath for eternity — a debt that should’ve been hers. She’s living a borrowed life, and she doesn’t know what to do with the guilt. And every night Jack appears in her dreams, lost and confused and wasting away.
Desperate for answers, Nikki turns to Cole, the immortal bad boy who wants to make her his queen — and the one person least likely to help. But his heart has been touched by everything about Nikki, and he agrees to assist her in the only way he can: by taking her to the Everneath himself.
Nikki and Cole descend into the Everneath, only to discover that their journey will be more difficult than they’d anticipated — and more deadly. But Nikki vows to stop at nothing to save Jack — even if it means making an incredible sacrifice of her own.
In this enthralling sequel to Everneath, Brodi Ashton tests the bonds of destiny and explores the lengths we’ll go to for the ones we love.

I waited pretty long before picking this up, didn't I? I had such a bad luck with my previous reads before Everbound and I wanted to read something I knew I'd enjoy. Well, ladies and gents, Ms. Ashton does not disappoint. Everneath's sequel was action-packed from the very first page and didn't stop surprising with its twists and turns until the very last one.

“I waited for you."
"But it's a race. Why did you wait for me?"
"I always wait for you. I'm always waiting for you.”

Everbound takes us into the world of the Everliving and it was such and original take inspired by ancient mythology and different classic authors, but it came to be something I've never seen before. This world Brodi Ashton has created is wonderfully crafted to these tiniest details and I'm so glad I got to be a part of this. All these challenges Nikki faced in the Everneath were well-written. Oh, and our beloved heroine was up to complete every challenge to save her man and even though some of the challenges were so gruelling they almost broke her physically and emotionally, she never gave up. Nikki Beckett has secured her place among my favorite heroines. She's kick-a!!!

What I loved about Everbound was that we got Cole's history and how he became and Everliving, although, I don't know whether to believe that story anymore. When I started this series, I was so sure I was going to love Cole and not feel a thing for Jack. I couldn't have been more wrong. I adored Jack in Everneath and I loved him in Everbound as well. We got more of his and Nikki's history and it was wonderful to read about. I am completely team Jack. No joke! 

And then we have the ending. Ahhh..!!!!! I was so surprised and taken aback by what went down. I think it was a clever way of ending it. It wasn't fully a cliff hanger, more of a set up for book 3, but I can't help but feel anxious and worried. I was convinced that I knew his motives and that he truly cared about her, but now I don't know what to think. If some of you have any theories, mail me on Goodreads. I'd love to chat about it. I didn't want it to be this way and I have no clue what's about to happen next and even though I dislike the situation we and Nikki were left in, I like the feeling of jumping into unknown with Evertrue

Overall, Everbound was hard to put down, I kept turning page after page to find out more. If you enjoyed Everneath, you're bound to enjoy its sequel which was crafted with wonderful ideas, well-written plot and well-developed characters. There were twists and turns waiting on every corner and Nikki is a great heroine to spend time with. The ending sets the tone for Evertrue perfectly even if I'm not happy with the way it happened, I knew it was coming at some point. I hope you guys enjoy(ed) this pretty just as much as I did. Read on, lovelies!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

14 comments:

  1. Siiri you are killing me here with your wonderful reviews that I'm not able to read as I haven't read the first book in the series yet. I actually have both books too. I'm really glad that you enjoyed this book, I had a quick peek at your last paragraph and seriously this series sounds fantastic so far! You know what I'm going to have to do? Make a Siiri recommends list and try to read a lot of those books by this year! I will email you later on!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're making me blush, girl! =) I think it's a wonderful, amazing, brilliant series and I'm keeping my fingers crossed you'll love Everneath. Such a thrilling, magical read and I can't wait to read your thoughts on it:)

      Delete
  2. This series is one of these that I've promised myself I'd read when all the books are out. Yeah, I'm not sure but we'll see. I mean it sounds amazing and I'm so happy to hear that this sequel didn't disappoint. I need to read it and I cannot wait to see what you think of the third book :) Amazing review Siiri :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't read it yet? Wow! I think these're right up your alley. I hope you decide to pick them up one day:) Thank you, hon!

      Delete
  3. I loved this one!! I thought that ending was fantastic. (and torturous lol!) I'm glad that you really enjoyed this one too!! Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Team Jack! Woohoo! Strangely enough, I quite like Cole too, and that almost never happens in a love triangle (can we call it that?). I usually just like one and wish the other would disappear for good. But I'm still definitely rooting for Jack and Nikki. ;) And the ending totally caught me by surprise too! I can't wait to see what happens next.

    Fantastic review, Siiri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds amazing and I can't wait to start this seres

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited you loved Everbound, Siiri! I've had this book for ages and still haven't read it, despite all the praise.
    Great review, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Siiri. I actually remember enjoying the first book, but for the life of me, I can't remember what happened in it. Even when I read my review or the book summary, I have no clue as to what happened in the story. That's why I must read the first one before I get to this installment.
    I'm very curious about this ending you mentioned!
    Lovely review, Siiri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEAH SIIRI!!!! Wasn't this book absolutely amazing? I loved every single thing about it. Like you, I'm fully Team Jack, but I find Cole to be utterly fascinating. I just never know what to expect with him or where his motivations lie, so he always keeps me on my toes. And I feel like we could have a long email chat about that ending. OMG! I did not see that coming and I love that Brodi surprised me:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this series yet, but I'm so glad the sequel turned out to be great for you! I haven't really wanted to read this one ever -- not sure what that was -- but your review was so lovely that I'm seriously rethinking my choice to not start this series. It sounds like I'm missing out on something epic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I HAVE WAITED long to pick this one up. It's still on my to-read list though everyone has raved about the sequel and said it was better than Everneath. I'm glad that you had better luck with this book than your previous reads! Have you read the novella from Cole's POV?

    Very true. From what I've gathered, Ms. Ashton's take on the Everliving/Everneath is like nothing I've read either. It sounds like she went above and beyond the Persephone myth of before. And I wasn't the hugest fan of Nikki from the first book - I liked her, but she definitely wasn't a favorite. It's nice to know that she stays a formidable heroine in this as well.

    Hahaha, when I started to read your review, I was like hmmm. I bet Siiri is a Cole fan. But I guess I was wrong :). I loved Nikki and Jack's backstory in the first book, so it doesn't seem surprising that it's just as adorable in the sequel!

    AHHH I hate the open ending types that are set ups for the next book. I never know quite what to think of them. Lol. I wish I'd read the book just to mail you on GR about it :P.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! I loved Everbound too, and the ending totally surprised me too, but it was perfection. However, I am so not Team Jack. I am Team Anything but Jack. Like, either she should end up with Cole or no one. I'm not sure why I'm so anti-Jack, but I am. Though I am super excited to find out what Jack will be like in book three. EVERTRUEEEEEE, I NEEDS IT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The end of this book KILLED ME. UGH. It shocked me and hurt my heart :(. But on the bright side, I too am firmly Team Jack. Although I was from the beginning. Also, I like that it's moved away from love triangle territory. That actually worried me for a while! I'm ready for the next book and seeing Nikki take some people out. I'm also excited to get a real time look at Jack and Nikki since most of her interactions with him have been in the form of her memories of their past together. YES! I love that this series isn't predictable. I'm DYING for book 3. Great review!

    ReplyDelete