Monday, April 14, 2014

Review: Four Seconds to Lose by K.A. Tucker

Title: Four Seconds to Lose (Ten Tiny Breaths #3)
Author: K.A. Tucker
Published: November 4th 2013
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

When a gorgeous young dancer walks through his door, a strip club owner must decide whether to follow his rules or his heart in the third novel by the author of One Tiny Lie and Ten Tiny Breaths.
Owning a strip club isn’t the fantasy most guys expect it to be. With long hours, a staff with enough issues to keep a psych ward in business, and the police regularly on his case, twenty-nine-year-old Cain is starting to second guess his unspoken mission to save the women he employs. And then blond, brown-eyed Charlie Rourke walks through his door, and things get really complicated. Cain abides by a strict “no sleeping with the staff” rule. But being around Charlie challenges Cain’s self-control…and it’s been a long time since any woman has done that.
Twenty-two-year-old Charlie Rourke needs a lot of money, really fast, in order to vanish before it’s too late. Taking her clothes off for men makes her stomach curl but Charlie tells herself that at least she’s putting her acting and dancing skills to good use. And though her fellow dancers seem eager to nab their sexy, sophisticated, and genuinely caring boss, she’s not interested. After all, Charlie Rourke doesn’t really exist—and the girl pretending to be her can't get distracted by romance.
Unfortunately, Charlie soon discovers that developing feelings for Cain is inevitable, and that those feelings may not be unrequited—but losing him when he finds out what she’s involved with will be more painful than any other sentence awaiting her.

I honestly don’t even feel like writing a review for this. I feel like this series has gone so down for me that I’m not even sure I want to read Ben’s book. If this is any indication then I’m going to DNF his book which I do not want to happen. Ehhhh.. Okokok, I’ll try not to rant too much and say everything I have to say nicely.

“For all that I hate about what I’ve done, there’s one thing I can’t regret. It led me to him.”

Cain was a pretty decent character in previous books even if he was there just as a very minor character. I appreciate his attitude towards women. He respects them and as weird as it is to think about a strip club owner being nice, polite and for him to mean strictly business—that is all Cain . He has had a rough time in his youth and that was the catalyst to why he is the way he is now.

Charlie on the other hand… Oh boy. I liked her at first, but then grew to dislike her, because girl..?? You know, you KNOW Cain has the means to save your pretty self from this web of lies and deception yet you still don’t use it *pulls her hair* Plus, after all that talk about how malicious Sam (her stepdad) can be and how hard it is to play your move against him, the final scenes in the showdown sure did feel like anything but hard since the climax to the whole drug-maffia thing was so mild and non-eventful that it actually made me laugh out loud of its silliness. It literally felt like all that huge build up was for nothing other than just to throw a few anti-climatic pages in my face and be done with it *eyeroll*

Also, the love drama? Ehhhh… I liked the build-up very much. When they got together though, it lost the edge a little, and honestly? Some months after reading it I don’t even remember much of the romance. I guess it didn’t leave a huge impression on me. Also, I remember that this book had the good ole “girls steps into the room when another girl is on the guy’s lap and it’s actually very innocent” um. No. Please don’t. I found the explanation the most ridiculous ever and it just made me make a weird face and tap to the next page that more quickly.

I don’t even feel much towards this book other than disappointment mostly thanks to the ending since the beginning was so promising and then it suddenly all fell apart. I didn’t hate it per se, but it’s one of those books that I will never re-read. It would have gotten a tad higher rating than One Tiny Lie, but due to the mild climax of the whole storyarc in this book? Naahhhh, not gonna happen. Only one thing will save Tucker in my eyes and that’s Ben’s book. If that doesn’t work either then I’m done for good.

Overall rating: 2.4 out of 5.0
Stars: ★★

Meet the author

Website Facebook Twitter Goodreads

18 comments:

  1. Ugh I hate writing reviews for books which were a let down for me, but you did a great job of explaining why this book didn't work for you. I think I would have a hard time connecting with or understanding the characters in this book, especially Charlie :( I'm sorry that this series is starting to go downhill for you, I really hope you end up enjoying Ben's book. Thank you for the honest review lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, what can you do, right? I really hope Ben's book will be worth my time and money *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  2. This books reviews are ALL over the place. This is the third I've read this morning (the other 2 being 1 and 4.5 stars). I've had Ten Tiny Breaths on my TBR list forever, so I think I'm just going to have to read it for myself before figuring out it this series is worth it. I'm sorry you were disappointed :(

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! So far I've seen mostly rave reviews. This one would have gotten a higher rating from me if it wasn't for that stupid climax which was not worth the huge build up. I hope you enjoy this series, Jessica!

      Delete
  3. I just read a review on Kim's blog and she loved it. It's so interesting how different people have different tastes. This author's books have not work for me before so reading your review makes me think that I'm probably not going to like this. Especially since you and I share the same tastes. It's not a good sign when you grow to dislike the characters instead of liking them. Ugh.

    And love drama? *runs far far far away*

    I'm sorry this sucked for you, Siiri. Hopefully your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Rachel enjoyed it, Nereyda too. Almost everyone I know loved this book so I'm the odd one out here, but.. I can't help it. This one had so many irritating things in it that at the end of the day, it couldn't have a better rating from me.

      Delete
  4. Oh lordy, we read different books..lol I liked this one as much as the first..but then I have been waiting for Cade's story. I am so sorry it didn't give you the feels it gave me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, the synopsis is just screaming "DON'T READ ME" for me. :/ I think the prose is kind of stupid, although I know in real life women do these things for cash when they're in need, but I wouldn't want to read about them. So I'm staying faaaar away. Charlie doesn't sound like a character I'd like, too. Too bad you didn't like this, Siiri. :( I hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The reactions for this series seem to be really mixed. And after reading your review and others', I don't think this series is for me at all. It seems like they get worse and worse by the instalment. BLURGH. Love drama.

    Brilliant review, lovely! <33

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read Kim's review of this one and she really enjoyed it, so now it's fun for me to read a differing opinion! You both seem to agree that Cain is awesome, so I have no doubt that I'll be a big fan of his. Charlie I'm not quite as sure about. I don't typically do well with characters who keep secrets and play games, so I'm wondering how I'll feel about her. I haven't read any of the books in this series, so I think maybe I'll hold off a while longer, even with Cain as appealing as he is:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first KA Tucker book I've read and I liked it more than TTB. Although I totally agree with you that the 'taking down the bad guy' thing was waaaaaay too easy. I kept waiting for more. I was like, now way is this it! I also didn't like her real name. It just seemed too much of a coincidence. I did still like it though. But, I did listen to the audiobook and you know I love Sebastian York :)
    Hope Ben's book is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry this book wasn't good for you and that the series is going downhill. I've got series like that. Hopefully when you read the next book it gets better. I hate when the books have potential, but then utterly fall flat. Thanks for the honest opinion Siiri!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you didn't enjoy this. It's always disappointing when a series you like ends up not working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw sorry to hear it was a let down for you. I can def see the issue with the build up and then the non-epic event that dealt with Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry this didn't work for you:(. I actually liked this the best of the three, but I agree that Charlie keeping secrets was pretty annoying, especially when she ran away at the end, and it does include some well used tropes. Hope the next one works better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that this one isn't as good as the previous 2 books! What a shame, it sounds like you were disappointed. Lovely review Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this book a while back and while it was my first K.A Tucker book to read i absolutely LOVED it! I managed to really get into it and the romance did make me swoon. I can see where you might have had issues with it and i appreciate your honesty. I've heard from some people who loved this book like I did that it's best to not read the authors other two pervouis books as they aren't as good while people who didn't like this book are telling me that her other two books were better and now i'm all confused! i'm sorry this series is going downhill for you but i hope the fourth one *fingers crossed* can remedy that for you!
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry that you didn't liked this one. Well, I love the whole series and i really enjoyed reading Cain's book and I love KA Tucker. nonetheless, its a great review and I liked that you are being honest on your reviews! xoxo

    ReplyDelete