Monday, April 21, 2014

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Title: Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Published: February 5th 2013
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

Like I said in my review for Cinder: I had a very rocky start with The Lunar Chronicles series—I DNF-d Cinder at first, but then picked it up a year later and quite enjoyed it. Needless to say I was very hesitant to read Scarlet, but oh. my!!!!!! I should have read it asap because it was just ohhh-so-very-good.

“Little Red was a tender young morsel, and the wolf knew she would be even tastier than the old woman.”

WOLF. SCARLET. SWOON. Yes, that’s what I need to tell you. These two? Gahhh. I loved them so so so much. They’re perfection. Okay, I’ll get to them later so let’s start from the beginning. I liked the beginning better than Cinder’s—perhaps because I know the world already and because I know a lot more about food than electronics and technology which is Cinder’s speciality. Scarlet was so much easier for me to connect with and I admire her strength; the spunky fire and life that burns inside her spirit. I just adore her!

We meet the famous Thorne in this book. He’s one character that everyone talks about whenever this series is mentioned anywhere. Thorne is like a mix of Hook and Jack Sparrow, but a younger and even more handsome version. (Don’t ask.) I find Jack Sparrow handsome and we’re not going to talk about Hook, because that would require a 500 word essay on how handsome and charming Colin O'Donoghue is. Moving on..

In short: the world is unique, the characters are awesome and the plot is sooooo very addictive. The problem for me is the writing which is to technical at times (the escape scene for instance). That’s like my only criticism, but since it suits and goes so well with Cinder’s character you can’t really strip these books from this. Cinder is very much growing on me with every page though and I like her spicy spirit. (Btw, chapters 31-32 were disgusting to read about—made me sick to my stomach the way Cinder described things.)

Okay, so the romance, yeah? Chapter 23. SWOON BIG TIME. *fans self* I know the main plotline is still Cinder vs Levana, but I didn’t really care for Cinder that much in this book, because I was shipping Wolf and Scarlet so hard and kept turning pages just to find out what happens next in their story. How do you define romance in this one? O.o I wouldn’t use insta-love/-attraction to describe it. It all happened throughout few days but it felt like ages and the feelings definitely weren’t instant.

While Cinder was a strong read for me, this was simply amazing. I became so invested in the story and the characters that I cannot wait to devour more of this world. It’s a wonderful retelling with so much originality that it’s just.. mind-blowing. I’m in awe of Meyer’s talent and I can’t wait to see where her career takes her because this? This was absolute perfection!

Overall rating: 5.0 out of 5.0
Stars: ★★★★★

Meet the author

Website Facebook Twitter Goodreads

22 comments:

  1. WAIT WHAT YOU DNFED CINDER AT FIRST? I AM RELIEVED YOU ENDED UP PICKING IT UP AGAIN. Anyway, I so glad that you enjoyed this one, Siiri. YES to Scarlet and Wolf! Ahh i loved them so much. I still need to read Cress, and heard that it's the best ever.

    Lovely review, girl! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you know how you could write essays about the perfection that is Colin O'Donoghue (I could too, incidentally--SO pretty)? I could do the same thing about Wolf and Scarlet. I LOVE them. I love how stubbornly tenacious Scarlet it, I love how Wolf . . . does everything. EVERYTHING. This is my favorite in the series. As much as I love Thorne too, he's not Wolf. Is chapter 23 where Meyer abruptly ends the chapter exactly when you do not want it to end?? If that's the one, then know that I actually shrieked. Really. I did. Scared the crap out of my cat, LOL. Fabulous review, Siiri-girl ;) I'm glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great when book 2 is even better than book 1! I keep hearing amazing things about this series. It sounds so good and I confess I'm really curious about the world and the characters now. I bought book 1 a few weeks ago because of the reviews but I still need to read it. I'm curious to see what I'll think about it, I'm a little anxious too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!! :D :D :D
    I'm so happy you loved this one as much as I did, Siiri. This one was undoubtedly my favorite in the series because yes, Scarlet and Wolf gave me so many freaking feels. They are my favorite OTP in this series although I think Jacin and Winter are going to be even better. Seriously though, book 3 broke my heart when it came to Wolf and Scarlet, so I need book 4 asap!

    "we’re not going to talk about Hook, because that would require a 500 word essay on how handsome and charming Colin O'Donoghue is."

    LOL. Are you sure 500 words is enough? :P

    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *laughs* 500 words is most definitely not enough :D It's the minimum amount of words lol :D

      Delete
  5. Woot for 5 stars. I have seen so much about this series, but I couldn't get into the first unfortunately. It is always great to enjoy follow up books in series too, they seem to disappoint too often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY SIIRI!!!!! This remains my favorite book of the series for sure, I couldn't love Scarlet and Wolf any more. I initially thought I would be irritated with them because Cinder came first and I therefore wanted to spend majority of my time with her story, but I changed my tune almost immediately and fell in love with these two. They were one of the highlights of Cress for me too, I can't wait to see what you think of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WAHOOO!! Yes, I am so glad you are loving it. This series and its characters rock..I cannot wait to see your thoughts on Cress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was EXACTLY the same! I DNF-ed this book but I haven't picked it up again since. I wasn't sure if it was my sort of book at first. I'm quite a picky reader, if I didn't enjoy it a year ago then I may not ever but I know a lot of people have enjoyed this series. I think you may have convinced me to read it again very soon, after you were the same as me. Wonderful review, Siiri! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really happy that you didn't gave up on this series, Siiri. I loved first novel and I plan to read rest of them soon. (I'm still not sure will I read Laini Taylor first or should I pick Scarlet.)
    Tanja loved romance too. :)
    Great review, babe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I like Cinder's character the most out of all the females. I'm so glad you like the book. I enjoyed a lot as well! I loved how the author incorporated all the characters. I can't wait to see what you'll think of Cress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I won't be able to put this series off much longer! I don't know what's going on in these books, but with all the great reviews, I don't think that matters. Thanks for sharing, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loooooooved this book! I wasn't aware that this would focus so much around Cinder but so does Cress. I don't mind though. I love that we get so many stories at once, the way they all connect is genius!
    Wolf broke my heart in Cress :(
    (not in a bad way)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful review, Siiri! I know everyone LOVES this series, but I just can't bring myself to pick it up. The description just doesn't appeal to me in any way so I doubt I'll ever read it. I'm happy to see you loved it so, and I hope it continues to impress you. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's interesting seeing which couple people ship the hardest! There seem to be equal numbers of people who prefer Kai x Cinder to Wolf x Scarlet and Thorne x someonewhoiwontsayincasespoilers. I'm a Kai x Cinder shipper myself ;)
    I think the series really does get better as you go on! The books also get longer, which is awesome because there are so many characters to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOAH I cannot believe you actually DNF'd Cinder! I am so glad you've seen the light and the characters in this one made you bond with them! Wait til you read Cress it is amazing with some great Thorne moments ;) Great review Siiri!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm happy to see you decided to continue Cinder. This series is just one of my favorites, and I'd love for everyone to read about its awesomeness. Scarlet and Wolf truly are a swoon-worthy couple, much more so than Kai and Cinder (in my very honest and humble opinion) haha. I can't wait now to see how you would receive Thorne and Cress! I hope you come to like them, too.

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVED Scarlet! I enjoyed it much more than Cinder though Cinder was really good for me as well. Wolf was so swoon worthy and Scarlet made for a great heroine. Lovely review Siiri! :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  18. heeheh i love Jack and Hook as well and both man are just yummmy.... mm..

    anyway, if this is who Thorne reminds you off, why on earth am I not yet reading this? o.o

    ReplyDelete
  19. This review makes me HAPPY! I'm thrilled that you've connected with this story so well. I agree, Scarlet and Wolf are so SWOONY. I love that ship so much. It is by far my favorite in this series. I like Wolf much better than Thorne, though Thorne is a great addition to this series, and I definitely like Cinder more than you. I'm glad that the writing didn't get too in the way of this book for you. Hope you love CRESS just as much. YAY for a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm SO glad you enjoyed this!!! Scarlet was such a pleasure to read, and I enjoyed Cress even more!!! :D Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVED WOLF AND SCARLET SO MUCH!! <3 They're my maybe-favorite couple of this series so far. ;P And loooooove Thorne. I hope you love Cress as well! :D

    ReplyDelete