Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Movie Review: The Host

Trailer. I have not read the book. I tried to when it was first published - I borrowed it from a library and read about three pages and then closed it. It was so weird. I want to read it now though. When I saw the trailer for this book I knew I'd love to have to see the movie. Max Irons? Heck yes!! Plus that girl from My Lovely Bones? Uh-uh! So many other great actors and it really seemed like a thrilling story. It was, until.. It wasn't.

The beginning was really, really good. The part where Melanie started talking (the mirror scene) scared me so much that I flinched. The parts where they were chasing someone or running away - those were awesome! The rest? Not so much. I think the romance ruined it for me. That weird love foursome and those cheesy talks about love - they all felt so rushed and random. It's a really long book so I'm not surprised that the movie couldn't entertain me as much as I hoped it would, hence the wanting to read the book now. Or at least wanting to give it a try.

I think Saoirse Ronan did a fantastic job as Melinda/Wanda. Her brother in the movie was really good and their bond was the most believable. Yes, Max Irons is hot and I wish we could have heard his accent more than on a few occasions when he slipped with his American accent, but that's okay. He doesn't hurt one's eyes not one bit;) His character felt a little off to me though. Moreover, as I said, the love square felt rushed. It was so weird, awkward and uncomfortable that I felt uncomfortable watching it.

The movie felt so random at times, but did I like it? Um.. Hard to say, I guess I did, but I won't watch it again, that's for sure. It's a see-it-once kinda film and nothing extra special really happens. I want to know and experience more than I got so I'm going to find myself a copy of The Host and we'll see how I'll feel about that. I hope you'll enjoy the movie more than I did.

P.S. THE BEST PART OF THE MOVIE? IMAGINE DRAGONS AS ONE OF THE SOUNDTRACK BANDS. YES, YES, YES!

2 comments:

  1. I was a little hesitant to read The Host, but ended up loving it. I really think you need to read it to understand the relationships between Melanie/Wanda and Jared/Ian. Sorry you didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the book but I lived the movie better. I'm with ya on Imagine Dragons being the best part.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete