Thursday, April 18, 2013

Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Published: October 23rd 2012
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository
Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past. She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head. They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets. She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next? 

I am speechless.  A good speechless I think. I have so many questions. Huh? What? Why? How? Where? When? Who? I don’t think I can wrap my head around everything that happened right this very moment, because so many things happened and I need time to figure out what exactly happened and how I feel about it.




“Everyone is a little crazy. The only difference between us and them is that they hide it better.”


The Evolution of Mara Dyer is even more twisted than the first book. I found myself tiptoeing around every incidence, because since we know Mara isn’t a reliable source of information nor are her thoughts unbiased, I didn’t know if any of it was real or not. It was so hard to trust Mara and her actions. I also became to doubt Noah and his sanity. Oh, and those help me help me help me writings were creepy. So was practically everything else in this book. I know, I’m a baby when it comes to this, because I’m afraid of everything, but it was freaky: the birds, the cats, that doll – yuck.

Okay, so you know that surprise which was at the very end on that video? I had a feeling that one was bad news, but I didn't know how it all fits into this enormous puzzle. I’m glad that some of my questions were answered, but when they did, the more questions I had. This book seemed to have a Pretty Little Liars syndrome. Oh, by the way, if I may ask, who else was freaked out by Phoebe? She was a nutcase. As for predictability, I am used to having theories, but I didn’t have that many with this book and it was surprisingly awesome to be clueless.

I didn’t necessarily love this book, but I really, really enjoyed it and it was a nice distraction from my uncooperative PC which was basically driving me nuts for two days and still does. I want my questions answered and that mind-fuckery solved. Why is the third book so far away? I need it bad. This wait is going to be painful. All I can say based on that ending is: “you get ‘em, Tiger!”



I love the trailers for this series! They're so pretty and for a change the actors aren't that bad actually. + the music in this one? Mmmmmm!!!!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Meet the Author

Website Facebook Twitter Goodreads

8 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you really enjoyed this one Siiri! I adore this series, but I agree, there are so many questions and threads left loose. I can't wait to see how she's going to tie everything together and make all these pieces fit. It's just such an interesting series - so strange and twisted and weird. I love it, and I need Retribution immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grown to love Mara and Noah as well. It's really, really twisted and weird, but I love that it's different and messes with my head and questions the sanity of the characters as well as my own lol. I want to know what happens next as well:) I can't wait!!

      Delete
  2. I have the first book, but still haven't read it. I've heard book two is even better than the first. I'm sure I'll start the series at some point, but just haven't had the urge. I'm glad you liked it, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book two was tons of better, Andrea! Creepy and pretty much a mind-fuck read;-) I hope you'll feel the urge sometime LOL since it's worth exploring for sure :)

      Delete
  3. Aaah the birds! The freaking birds! I'd forgotten about that! *rocks back and forth*


    Ahem.
    I didn't like the first book much but this one was a lot more to my liking I had a lot of fun with it! Hope you get your PC fixed soon. My solution would be to get a mac *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. We both have some weird bird phobia :D Same for me! First one wasn't as good as this one. Luckily I got it fixed and since it's about two years old I probably won't get a new one yet, but I'll see what happens after my current PC really decides to say goodbye to me lol.

      Delete
  4. YES! This book left me with SO MANY questions as well. It also completely FREAKED me out. I feel the same way. It is very interesting to have Mara as a narrator, because she is so unreliable as you said, and basically comes across as completely crazy at times. However, I'm hoping that she takes charge in the final book and steps it up and stops being afraid of herself. Also, I love Noah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just didn't know if I should trust her or not or what was going on at some scenes. I had some many theories and some of them were literally too crazy to be real :D I hope we'll have some answers and if at least 50% of my questions get answered in the third one, I'll be a happy girl:) LOVE HIM, TOO! *sigh*

      Delete