Monday, April 15, 2013

Review: Falling Into You by Jasinda Wilder and Fighting for Flight by JB Salsbury

Title: Falling Into You
Author: Jasinda Wilder
Published: March 16th 2013
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
I wasn't always in love with Colton Calloway; I was in love with his younger brother, Kyle, first. Kyle was my first one true love, my first in every way. Then, one stormy August night, he died, and the person I was died with him. Colton didn't teach me how to live. He didn't heal the pain. He didn't make it okay. He taught me how to hurt, how to not be okay, and, eventually, how to let go.
It was a good thing I didn’t know what to expect. Falling Into You started out sweet and innocent and even though we know from the blurb what’s coming, it still took me by surprise. The brutal way of it just… was a shock for me. It was sad, let’s be honest here. I really liked Colton as a character and his mature personality. About 60-70% through I got tired and just wanted to be done with it. The beginning was a delicious 4 for me, but then it fell apart and it was somewhere between 2 or 3 hence the rating.

PS. Wut? I just now saw that this is the first book in a series which it wasn't when I read it. Oh, dear... Looks like my sarc13 challenge is not doable. I mean, every other book is being turned into a series. Ugh..

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads



Title: Fighting for Flight (Fighting #1)
Author: JB Salsbury
Published: February 25th 2013
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
What happens when in order to win, you’re forced to lose? The only daughter of an infamous Las Vegas pimp, Raven Morretti grew up an outsider. Liberated from the neglectful home of her prostitute mother, she finds solace as a mechanic. With few friends, she’s content with the simple life. Flying under the radar is all she knows, and more than she expects. Until she catches the eye of local celebrity, UFL playboy Jonah Slade. Weeks away from his title fight, Jonah is determined to stay focused on everything he’s trained so hard to achieve. Undefeated in the octagon, he’s at the height of his career. But resisting Raven’s effortless allure and uncomplicated nature is a fight he can’t win. Will the hotheaded Jonah be able to restrain his inner fighter to save the woman he loves? Or will Raven be forced into a life she’s been desperate to avoid?
Again – the beginning was really, really good and captivating. Slasbury has a way of writing that makes you feel like you are in the story rather than watching it form aside. I felt the sun on my skin and the good atmosphere at that barbeque party, for instance. But then it turned out to be the same old, same old. Raven was cool with her boyish occupation and love for VS laundry and old cars. Jonah was hot and if you like a guy that makes your blood boil in a good way, than by any means, pick this up. The plot moved on quickly, but I found it too long. This book could have ended way sooner.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. These reviews crack me up. Seems these two books were nothing new....
    As always, thanks for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I think I need a break from NA contemporary books, but I just can't manage that somehow.

      Delete
  2. Sorry neither of these really wowed you Siiri! It does sound like maybe you need a little break from the NA genre, shake things up a bit:) You have Unbreakable and Sweet Peril coming up soon though, I can't wait to see what you'll think of them. They're definitely very different from NA contemps:) I LOVE BEN AND KAI! That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah book Falling Into You looked so good I love that cover! But I also never read blurbs so I'm sure I'd have the same unexpected reaction from it than you did but it depends what kind of shock it was I guess. It's the first time I hear of Fighting for Flight too bad it didn't stand out more :(

    ReplyDelete