Thursday, April 11, 2013

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Title: Unerathly (Unearthly #1)
Author: Cynthia Hand
Published: January 4th 2011
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?


It’s weird, because I started this book right after I finished Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick. I’m not afraid to admit that I am a fan of the Hush Hush Saga and it’s probably my favorite angel themed series to date. I had heard so many great things about Unearthly series though that I was really hesitant to give it a try. Since everyone was reading the last book already, I felt like I needed to finally start this one and I was actually pleasantly surprised.

“So often we only do what we think is expected of us, when we are capable of so much more.” 

General impressions. That clipped writing was so out of this world at the beginning. I didn’t think I was going to get adjusted to it, but the more I read, the less it bothered me and soon I didn’t even notice it. It took a lot of time to adjust to though. The world building was fascinating, but I wanted more. I believe there is more to discover when it comes to these Black Wings, rules, purpose etc. – it was original, but a little underdeveloped, in my opinion. Am I the only one who felt like this?

Relationships. Of course I had heard of Tucker and Christian. I knew who they were before I went into this series so that supposedly huge reveal was no surprise for me. What was unexpected though, was that I became a proud member of team Tucker. I was certain I’d love a mysterious hot guy with dark hair rather than a sarcastic, adorable and gentlemanly sweet cowboy, but it was completely the opposite. I wanted to like Christian so bad, but Tucker just sneaked his way into my fist sized heart and took a permanent residence in it. I’m sure it won’t be as easy for Clara to make a choice between destiny and love as the series progresses.

If I compare Clara’s friends, then I must say that Angela was a little too chaotic for my taste. She was all over the place and too pushy. I do understand what Clara sees in her and why they’re friends. I also get why Clara wants to be friends with Wendy – she gives her a sense of normality, a satisfying sense of belonging for the human part of her. I feel that there is more to Clara’s Mom, her purpose and existence. I hope we get to see Sam’s connection and the reason for his fascination with her. I really enjoyed Jeffery’s character – I’d be happy to see a little more of him.

All in all, even though I was reluctant at first to give this series a try, I’m glad I did because the rocky start aside, it was a great start to a series and I am eagerly looking forward to finding out what’s next to come for Clara, Tucker and Christian. I’m sure it won’t be easy to make decisions between want and need, right and wrong. I hope I will have the answers to my questions about this fascinating world of angels and hopefully Clara won’t become one of these annoying characters who run back and forth between two guys. *fingers crossed*

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Meet the author

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

8 comments:

  1. Eeep I can't believe it too you so darn long to read this! I love Tucker so hard and as the books go on you just love him more and more. I don't remember feeling that it was underdeveloped, though maybe I did after the first one, I can't really remember. Fabulous review, I can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wait forever;-) I'm glad that all of the books are out by now. I just received Hallowed and I'm anxious to start it:) Hehe, Team Tucker, baby! ;-) Thanks, Jenni!

      Delete
  2. TEAM TUCKER SIIRI!!!! *high five* Yessssssss. Love him so much! From the blurb and her initial visions of Christian, I thought for sure he was going to be the one I fell for, but like you said, Tucker just sneaks right into your heart and suddenly there's no room for anyone else. I can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the series:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized I pretty much left the exact same comment as Jenni. Awesome. Well done me.

      Delete
    2. BHAHAHAHA! LOL, Jenny, LOL! Tucker, Tucker, Tucker;) I can't wait to get some more of him:)

      Delete
  3. I really wanted more information, but you are going to get it in the other two books. Everything is slowly unraveled :) TEAM TUCKER! I absolutely hate Christian. He is an okay best friend, but STAY AWAY BOY.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo many people love this series! I've had a copy is Unearthly for way over a year, and still haven't opened it. I'm glad you liked this. Your review was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay I'm so happy you started this series I'm a big fan. I haven't read the 3rd book yet tough but I do know we learn a lot about the Black Wings in the sequel. Clara also deosn't become such an annoyingly cliché character no worries! ;) (well unless she does in book 3 but I very much doubt)
    Fab review, darling!

    ReplyDelete