Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Review: While It Lasts (Sea Breeze #3) by Abbi Glines

Title: While It Lasts (Sea Breeze #3)
Author: Abbi Glines
Published: July 21st 2012
Add It: Goodreads

Maybe driving home after a few (or more) shots of tequila had been a bad idea, but hell, he did it all the time. The cops had to have been freaking bored to have pulled him over. He wasn’t even swerving! That’s Cage York’s story and he’s sticking to it.

Unfortunately, his baseball coach isn’t buying it. Cage has a free ride to the local junior college for baseball -- or he did, until he’d gotten a DUI. Now, Cage has to decide: does he drop out and give up his dream of getting noticed by a college in the SEC, and possibly making it into the Major Leagues -- or does he give in to his coach’s demands and spend his summer baling hay?

Eva Brooks planned out her life step by step when she was eight years old. Not once over the years had she lost sight of her goals. Josh Beasley, her next door neighbor, had been the center of those goals. He’d been her first boyfriend at seven, her first kiss at ten, her first date at fifteen, and her first tragedy at eighteen. The moment she’d received the phone call from Josh’s mother saying he’d been killed along with four other soldiers just north of Baghdad, Eva’s carefully planned life imploded in the worst way possible.

Cage isn’t real happy with his closet-sized bedroom in the back of a foul smelling barn, or his daily interactions with cows, but he knows that if he doesn’t make his coach happy then he can kiss his scholarship goodbye. Only a sick and twisted man would decide his punishment was to be working on a farm all summer. No hot babes in bikinis waiting to meet a Southern boy to make her vacation complete. Just him and the damned cows.

Oh -- and an uptight, snarky brunette with the biggest blue eyes he’s every seen. But she doesn’t count, because as hard as he’s tried to charm her out of her panties - he’s pretty sure she’d rather see him hung from the rafters than let him get a taste of her pretty little lips.

I've read all thee novels from the Sea Breeze series and I've truly enjoyed them all. They aren't literary masterpieces, by any means, but the characters with their complicated and entertaining storylines are a blast to read about and there would be no one better to hang out with after a lousy day than Cage York and his friends. All of these characters have their own problems to deal with and whether it's about relationships, family life or something else, they keep fighting for their dreams and try to make the better out of the sticky situations they've caught themselves in. If you have read the first two and enjoyed them, you'll probably devour this book. I did. In one sitting. It was that good! Cage is one of my favorite people from this series and While it Lasts is his story.

“I understood that pain was real and sometimes things didn't last. Sometimes you just had to enjoy it while it lasts and cherish it when it's gone.” 

The book starts off on a heartbreaking note with a goodbye letter and this already was enough to bring tears to my eyes. Okay, I don't want this review to be depressing, so moving on to better things.. Perhaps, Cage freaking York? If you've read Because of Low, you know that if you were to open a dictionary, Cage's picture would be behind the term "ladies man" among Travis Maddox and Kellan Kyle's. He's like 'the man' in guys' world. But there's more to him: he can be the most protective, honorable and sweetest man on Earth whenever he wants to and we saw that side of him with Willow. Well, ladies, prepare youselves, because C. York is about to rock your world in every way possible.

Even though I liked all three novels, this was by far the best out of them. One minute you're crying you eyes out, the next you're almost rolling on the floor, because you just can't brigng yourself to stop laughing. It was a lot steamier, emotional and funnier than the previous two. And it's probably targeted to a more mature audience than Breathe and Because of Low. 

The best part of Abbi's books is that they start slow. I don't mind instalove, but romance in real world usually doesn't grow as fast as in some of the books I've read. It takes time to build trust and feelings. It's how it usually works and it's how Abbi writes these stories. Trust isn't something that can happen overnight and Cage has to work really hard to get Eva to trust him. To open up to him. And oh, man, was there chemistry between these two! Sadie and Jax had a very sweet, passionate romance, Marcus and Low had a bit rockier, steamier relationship, but this.. This couple sets a whole new level of boiling hot chemistry and steaminess in Abbi's novels. I, personally, can't wait to get my hands on Just for Now (Sea Breeze #4).

There were very few things I didn't like, e.g. there were some scenes where I literally wanted to slap either Cage or Eva for being so incredibly dumb or naive, but overall, it was the strongest and best I've read by Abbi Glines. I'm glad that there'll be more in this series, it's really entertaining and the characters are extremely relateable. 

“You see somethin' ya want, baby?"
"Maybe. I'm checking things out. Seeing if I'm interested," I shot back with my own evil grin.
"I see something I want," he drawled as he came toward me.
"You do?"
"Hell yeah, I do," he murmured. "I love chocolate." 

What? My excitement turned to confusion. His arm reached out beside me and took the piece of chocolate cake I'd brought him.

Oh, and it's great that characters from previous books visit in this one as they did in Because of Low and we get to see how they're doing without having the need to write another book about them.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Website| Facebook| Twitter | Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I've heard about this Cage York, and I think I really need to meet him Siiri! I love that the romance is of the slow-burn variety, those are always my favorite kind. I live for romantic tension! Thanks for the fabulous review:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jenny! You must meet him and get to know him, I really thinkhe has bathed in deliciousness and awesomeness, because he is just that great! I like a slow-growing romance, too, it just feels more real, but in the end, if the chemistry is believable and the story is great, I don't mind reading a book with instalove, however, I prefer a slower take on things. Thank you for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete