Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: Fallen Crest High by Tijan

Title: Fallen Crest High (Fallen Crest High #1)
Author: Tijan
Published: October 31st 2012
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon
Mason and Logan Kade are two brothers who did their own thing. They were rich and expected to attend her school, Fallen Crest Academy. They chose public school and now Samantha has to live with them. The problem is that she doesn't care at all: about them, about her friends, about her cheating boyfriend, or even about her parent's divorce. But maybe that's a good thing. Maybe change is a good thing.
The thing is that Mason and Logan Kane are probably what you’d find in a dictionary if you were to look up ‘trouble’. These two along with their friend Nate don’t mess around. BUT, they’re also synonyms to loyalty, protection and love. Yes, love. If they love someone, they do it with passion and boy did Mase and Sam have passion. I am taken aback by Mason’s hotness, by the way. Every time he walked in, I had to fan myself, literally. He is soooooo hawt!! And Logan is hilarious!

“I run to run." (meaning: she runs physically to run away emotionally.)

It’s funny, because I cried more than once while I was reading Broken and Screwed, but I didn’t while I was enjoying this one. It’s so much darker and really twisted. I really liked different types of characters and their interactions. I loved how Mason and Sam have a relationship that has nothing to do with being step-siblings, but at the same time Sam has a bond with Logan too. After I finished FCH, I stalked Tijan’s FB page and read the teasers (oh, my, by the way!!) and there were lots of comments regarding Mason-Sam-Logan and not one person mentioned wanting Logan and Sam to be romantically linked so I hope Tijan takes that into consideration while writing the sequel.

As for the other characters, most of them were douches. Especially Sam’s Mom, Jessica, Miranda and almost everyone else. I still had fun watching them do stupid stunts and be teenagers, even if sometimes these intrigues were over the top. What do you expect from an elite school in literature anyway? Exactly! Oh, and what was up with Becky? That girl was seriously too obsessed with gossip. If she were to turn half as much attention to herself, just maybe she’d get the guy of her dreams. She’d give Gossip Girl a run for one’s money.

Ahhh, and that not-cliff-hanger-cliff-hanger? I want to know what happens next so bad, I can’t even tell you how much. All these feelings. *gaaahh* I literally thought about FCH for two days straight after finishing it and I re-read my favorite parts over at least three times if not more. The funny remarks, snarky attitudes, hot smexy scenes, layered characters – it was really good. I didn’t expect to like this book so much. I’m so glad I stumbled upon Tijan on GR. Since she’s just in the beginning of her writing career, there’s room for improvement, but the potential is remarkable. I didn't mind the somewhat makes-no-sense plotlines and these not so advanced vocabulary and storytelling issues, because I got so sucked into the story that I didn't even bother to turn my attention to everything imperfect. I give thumbs up to this one! (On a side note: yuck on the cover.)

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Facebook Goodreads

11 comments:

  1. Oh color me curious! I haven't heard of this one before but I am all about an elite group of teenagers pulling off bigger than life stunts! Too bad there were so many characters that you weren't a fan of in this one though :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds pretty good, but I'm not really clear what the story is really about. (More coffee!) I'm glad you like it. And how funny that you didn't like the cover, I kind of did. lol
    Great review, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear that there are parts worth re-reading over and over. That makes me curious even though I haven't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books which have you thinking about them for days afterwards. Fallen Crest High definitely sounds like something that I would enjoy when I'm in the mood for a swoony read. Thanks for the great review and for putting this book on my radar Siiri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow this sounds really good! And now I'm super curious about that ending! I secretly enjoy cliffhangers--or endings that really make you crave the next. I'm also happy to hear some parents are in this book! Parents exist! WOW!! >.<

    I agree on the cover. That font is an eyesore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds good. Hehe! Like Giselle, I like cliffhangers. Not so secretly. ;) That cover isn't doing anything for me, but the book sounds fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually have never heard of this before but it looks awesome! And I LOVE emotional stories, so it's probably one I'd fall quickly in love with. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the cover either but at least the story doesn't represent it! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait! Are the couple in this book also half-siblings? I'm a little confused! But I don't think I can handle that. However, this one does sound pretty addicting. Is the next book going to feature a different couple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Step-siblings. My bad. I obviously wasn't thinking while writing the review. Mistake corrected though. Nope, there'll be a sequel and the MC is still Sam.

      Delete
    2. HA! That make the story much more appealing. I'm definitely intrigued.

      Delete
    3. :-) It's kinda a hot mess with the author being self-publishing and you can feel that the writing isn't like world class, but for some reason I liked it a bunch. I don't know why. I just did. My only excuse, haha. Btw, I see all these GR stats moving up up and up and there's no stopping. Crowds are pleased. Mostly anyway.

      Delete