Monday, July 14, 2014

Review: Shadows by Paula Weston

Title: Shadows (The Repham #1)
Author: Paula Weston
Published: July 2nd 2012
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

It’s almost a year since Gaby Winters was in the car crash that killed her twin brother, Jude. Her body has healed in the sunshine of Pandanus Beach, but her grief is raw and constant. It doesn’t help that every night in her dreams she kills demons and other hell-spawn.
And then Rafa comes to town. Not only does he look exactly like the guy who’s been appearing in Gaby’s dreams—he claims a history with her brother that makes no sense. Gaby is forced to accept that what she thought she knew about herself and her life is only a shadow of the truth—and that the truth is more likely to be found in the shadows of her nightmares.
Who is Rafa? Who are the Rephaim? And most importantly, who can she trust?

This is so hard for me to review simply because I don’t want to offend anyone’s feelings. Don’t get me wrong, I liked this book, but since everyone was so excited about me reading it and saying how much they adored it? Um, I just don’t want to disappoint anyone by saying that it wasn’t as amazing as I thought it would be.

“Most stories are based on something real.”

Alright, so I just need to get this out of the way: THESE COVERS ARE FREAKIN’ GORGEOUS!!! *stares* Love them! There better not be a cover change. Ok, um. I really liked that the book was set in Australia. Loved Rafa of course, how could I not? He’s the comic relief in most of the situations and he did bring the feels for me, already at the very beginning. Oh, that reminds me! I really thought I was going to DNF it at first since the beginning was so.. weird O.o

Firstly, you can always tell it’s an Aussie writer since their style is recognizable. It’s something I still haven’t gotten used to, but it’s very brief and straight to the point. Secondly, I found it incredulous that every single character was basically okay with these supernatural creatures in our world. Like, what? Humans are curious by nature, but they’re also afraid of the unknown and how everyone took this in without much more than a few questions? I just couldn’t help but roll my eyes. There are some things that come out later so it makes a tad more sense, but still. Also, why in the world would Gaby and Maggie tell Jason anything? Let him believe what he wants to believe. You just met the guy, can you not spill all these secrets to a stranger? O______O

I didn’t form any connections with the characters. Perhaps it’s because Gaby has so much to figure out and there are all these bits and pieces here and there, but just as her, I don’t know what to think or believe. Then again, I didn’t really feel any strong emotions towards any of the other characters either. I did like the whole mythology part of the angels: Fallens, Demons etc, and how fast paced this book was. I’m glad that we got some answers, but there are still so many unanswered questions and that’s the part I’m most looking forward to in the sequels, especially some regarding Gaby and Rafa (one thing in particular and if you’ve read the book, you probably know what it is).

I’m aware that this seems more like a negative review, but believe me, it’s not. I had a lot of fun (and feels too) with this read, but I clearly had issues too. I can’t wait to read the sequel and the third one just came out, so yay! This one put a different spin on angels and I’m very excited to cover more ground on the questions looming over all the why’s and how’s. I hope we will meet a certain someone in the flesh next book and one will have some answers for us. If not, then perhaps one will join our MC-s to uncover all the secrets that lie between us and the answers. Decent read, but unfortunately not a favorite.

Overall rating: 3.3 out of 5.0
Stars: ★★★

Meet the author

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

26 comments:

  1. This one has me iffy. From the summary it sounded good, but after reading your review, I am not so sure. I can deal with the writing style, but I have to connect SOMEWHAT with the characters. This is an IDK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally worth exploring, just wasn't mind-blowing for me. I hope you enjoy, Lori :)

      Delete
  2. I got a review copy (unsolicited) for the third book...buuuut, I hadn't read any of the firsts. I hadn't even HEARD of this series until now?! So is it really famous, then? Wow. Mm...I want to try book #1 and #2 just because I own the 3rd. And omg, those covers, though! That's covers done right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You should def meet Rafa, Cait :) I hope you enjoy both books! And yes! So very gorgeous covers indeed ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm super sad that you didn't enjoy this one as much as I did, but hey, everyone has different tastes and it's perfectly OK not to love a hyped book. It happens to me all the time! I was super wary when I went into this book, so I think it's why I enjoyed it so much. It's interesting how Gaby didn't work for you because I loved the girl and connected very well with her. Also Rafa! <3 All the swoons! I haven't read book 2 just yet, but I'll be reading it soon now that book 3 is out in Australia! I agree with you on Aussie writers. They have almost of a signature writing style and it's hard to get into at first, but for me, once I got into the writing, I seriously got into the writing! :D
    I'm sorry this was disappointing for you! :( Hyped books don't often work for you, do they?
    Great review, Siiri! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the swoons sounds just about right :D LOL! Idk what's up with the hype books lately *headdesk* it's like I have some curse laid on me. Let's hope I get out of it and FAST :D

      Delete
  4. I hate it when a book fails to live-up to its hype, especially if it came highly recommended by some of my blogger peeps. I'm glad that there were enough positives for you to still enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sucks to tell my friends that I didn't like it as much as they did. But I'm sure the series will grow on me big time :)

      Delete
  5. I love angel books and even though this one didn't live up to expectations, I think I'll still give it a go :) I haven't read anything yet from an Aussie writer so I'm also excited about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you I had a few issues with this book, but even though it wasn't a fave it was def still a fun read. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I struggle with Angel books either I love them or just feel meh about them. It is so hard when you don't form a connection or believe the tale. I am sorry this one didn't wow you, but glad moments were enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them, it's just that.. eh. No connection here. But Laini Taylor and Cynthia Hand have def given me feels before =)

      Delete
  8. This right here is why I still haven't read Graceling Siiri! I think you hear from so many people how amazing a book is, and no book can ever live up to that kind of hype, no matter how good it is. I'm sorry this one didn't work as well for you as it did for others, but I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to continue on with the series. I look forward to seeing what you think of the next 2! Yay for not having to wait:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, SAME! I need to start Graceling, but I'm so scared. Can't wait to read #2 :)

      Delete
  9. I don't this i've thus far ever really LOVED an angel book, it's difficult to find angel stories that actually wow me and that i can connect with *sigh* While i also love this cover it's a shame this one wasn't quite what you wanted :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah? I'm so sorry to hear that. Have you read DoS&B? That's fantastic imo :)

      Delete
  10. Hm I've seen this one around (also like the cover!) and I'm thinking of giving it a try, and keeping what you said in mind. It seems like an entertaining read, but if I can't connect to the characters I'm not very into a book. Still, I do love angel mythology, so Shadows does seem to be worth a try!

    Thanks for the review!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's hard to be a huge fan when you're just not feeling the characters. Though I def swooned over Rafa ;)

      Delete
  11. I don't think I'm familiar with this series. I do like Australian books, but struggle with YA PNR, especially angels. I also get annoyed when humans are way too accepting of the supernatural.
    Thanks for the review, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were like.. Oh, look! It's an angel. Okay. *headdesk* That's what bothered me. Thanks for reading, lovely!

      Delete
  12. I agree, these covers are beautiful! I'm sorry this book didn't wow you! It's definitely a favorite of mine, but the author is very vague about information for a long time. I loved the human dramas between the characters and I felt so much for Gaby as she tried to piece together who she was. Her choices definitely annoyed me a times in this book, but I connected with her way better in Haze. It's hard when everyone raves about something and you just don't fully connect. I hope the sequel works better for you! I'm waiting impatiently for my copy of book 3 to arrive. Maybe today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so soooo gorgeous! Yeah? So there's hope for me yet? :D I want to love her and I kind of do, but not entirely happy with her either. I hope you enjoy Shimmer, sweets!

      Delete
  13. I'm sorry this one didn't work as well for you, hon! I'm starting the series soon too, and I have really high expectations. NOW I'M SCARED.

    You know what this means though, right??? There's just an even better angel book waiting for you. *cough*Angelfall*cough*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love that subtle Angelfall hint lol. I think you should not expect epic and then it might just be what you get ;)

      Delete