Thursday, July 24, 2014

Review: Thrive by Krista and Becca Ritchie

Title: Thrive (Addicted #2.5)
Author: Krista and Becca Ritchie
Published: July 18th 2014
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo

Two years will change them forever.

When rumors spread like wildfire—like having three-ways with her boyfriend’s rock climbing brother—Lily Calloway spirals into a dark place. Her bedroom. Loren Hale is more confident and determined to keep their sex life private, even from their friends, and he helps Lily in the only way he knows how. But how much love is too much?

Their lives are filmed, watched, and criticized. And through it all, Lily and Loren have to face enemies they never thought they’d see, demons they don’t know if they should bury, and setbacks they didn’t think they’d meet. Not this soon.

And one rumor could be too much for them to handle. It will test their greatest limitations, and if they don’t hold onto each other, someone is going to drown.

A full-length New Adult Romance that bridges the gap between the second and third books. Thrive must be read before Addicted After All if you have not read the Calloway Sisters spin-off series.

*There are NO spoilers whatsoever in this review for any of the previous books nor for Thrive.*

Hiii, y’all. So it’s that day again on le blog where I get to fangirl endlessly. Do you guys even take me seriously anymore when I mention this series to you? Honestly, it’s not my fault these books are so devourious (not a word, I know, but it should be: these books are meant to be devoured!). In all honesty, this book and series can be summed up in two words: READ. THIS.

"We’re going to have our happy ending. It just may take us awhile to get there."

I want to get the thing that bothered me out of the way now and not waste any time on it later. You see, Krista and Becca love Ryke and Lily’s friendship and everyone else seems to as well. I don’t, unfortunately. I like them separately and I appreciate this bond they’ve formed thanks to Lo; I love how up-front Ryke is about everything, I love the awkwardness that is Lily. However, when Ryke looks at Lily like she just said something dumb and sometimes tells her some rude/mean-ish stuff (only in my opinion since, again, everyone ships this friendhsip), I always, always cringe. It’s not that Lily can’t protect herself, it’s that I want to protect her from Ryke’s hard edges. Lily is too sweet to have to bear Ryke’s hard edges and even though Lily isn’t even hurt by Ryke’s sometimes-very-harsh comments, I am. That’s the only thing that bothers me about Thrive. Reading about their friendship from Ryke's POV isn't an issue, but from any other POV? It kind of is for me. Moi is weird, I'm aware.

Since the plot is too spoily to talk about, I’ll discuss it very briefly. Thrive contains everything that happens after the second book [Addicted for Now] and the two companion novels [Kiss the Sky and Hothouse Flower], so it spans throughout a few years. It’s hard to put every single scene into this novel and some fan favorites were left out (though YAAAAAS! It has this particular scene from Kiss the Sky that always brings chills all. over. my. whole. body). We have a ton of new scenes that we haven’t seen before, including something regarding Rose and Connor which had me in so many happy tears that I just couldn’t handle. We also get Comic Con and a few special bromance scenes which I did not drool over. (Ok, I totally did, but don’t tell anyone else.)


As for characters, well.. Thrive is a character growth novel and basically a filler story between two periods in Lily and Lo’s lives. I love how awkward our adorable female MC is. Lily and Lo’s nerdiness is so relatable. ALSO, DID I MENTION THE HARRY POTTER REFERENCES? SPELLS. HOGWARTS MENTIONINGS. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING A GIRL (OR A GUY) COULD ASK FOR? And it’s all spiced with a touch of awkwardorable (read: awkward and adorable) manner that’s so unique to Lily and Lo. And there's a Teen Wolf reference ;____________; I just about cried when I saw Sterek mentioned. Swoon mode is 100% activated, let me tell you. This basically sums up everything:


The side characters are extremely important in this series. Ofc I love all the 6 main characters *duhh* but there are a few people whom I’ve grown to love more or less throughout the series and one of them is Jonathan Hale. ”WHAAAT?” you ask. “Siiri, this is not a person to love O____O” Well, guys, my love for this character is weird. I specifically love to hate him. He’s not an obvious villain. He’s the Dan Scott of this story while Lo represents Nathan. Lo, like Nathan, is desperate to prove himself to his father and find his approval. Jonathan, like Dan, is never satisfied with anything and is constantly pushing his son to the lowest point until neither of them has anything left but try and fix what's been broken over and over again. I’m really looking forward to seeing if and how Jonathan Hale can be somewhat redeemed. He has his moments, but it’s a long, long road ahead of him and I don’t know if he is able to reach the other side of the street before the series ends.

There are two more things I need to speak more about and first of them being Ryke, Connor and Lo's bromance. Bromance is something I always fangirl over and especially in this series. It’s just so real, banter-y and you can see the layer of care and concern underneath all the jokes. It’s exactly how my guy friends are with each other, so it’s humbling to see that in fiction as well. Doesn’t hurt that it includes Connor Cobalt who is the most shippable person in any fictional work I have ever read. I ship him with everyone and everything! *dies of swoon* And last, but definitely not least, the sisters! It’s so endearing to see a bond that grows throughout years; that only gets stronger and stronger. As much as I adore the romances and all the bromances, to me, the Calloway sisters are the heart of the story. Le amazing bromances and le wonderful sisterly bonds are just my favorite things about this series. Every time a book in this series ends, I just want to crawl into a corner, sob and cry: "COME BAAAACK!" And yes, I'm aware that this Stiles gif will make us all *ahem* me *cough* sob all on its own, but still.


So what can you take away from this review, you ask? Simply put: read this series! If you’re looking for an original, quirky, fun, emotional (oh, ‘em tears, you guys!!) and love-triangle-free series that will keep you on the edge of your seat, always craving for more and has no cliffhangers? This right here is it! Krista and Becca are a force to be reckoned with in New Adult literature and they have rocked every part of my soul with Thrive.

There are a ton of books in the whole series (Addicted + Calloway Sisters spin-offs). If you want to know in which order you should read them, head over here

Overall rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
Stars: ★★★★★

Meet the authors

Website Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest

25 comments:

  1. The level of you fangirling I think just went up to the sky! I know you love this and well there is this guy you kinda of like, right? But honestly with every your review for a book in this series I wonder what on earth is wrong with me. I mean everyone is loving this, only I cannot get into it. I didn't like Ryke and how he treats Lily either. So yeah I get that. Also, that scene had certain someone there for sure. RIGHT?????? Though, Teen Wolf references and HP with that - I don't think there is any way you wouldn't like this! Amazing review, love.
    I'll leave you with your fangirling now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *ahem* It MAY have something to do with a certain person, yes. You know me so well, T :') And it's ok! Not everyone has to love this series to no end like Nick and me. It's okay to just feel okay about it.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry you didn't love this book that much, Siiri.
    Cool review.
    k
    bye.

    (*pokes and runs away* *comes back*)

    I don't take you seriously any more. Your love for this series is crazy... and almost intoxicating. I NEED TO GET AWAY FROM YOU AND YOUR FEELS. But in all seriousness, your love for this series is contagious. Seeing you fangirl always makes me excited and you're just so adorable when it comes to your feels <3

    And boy am I glad to hear about that reference to Sterek. IT WILL HAPPEN SOMEDAY I TELL YOU.

    I haven't actually gotten to the point where I see a real relationship develop between Ryke and Lily but I am 100% I will feel the same way you did... .-. It does sound a little.. worrisome and I am actually tempted to slap Ryke and tell him to stop being a douche, but what do I know???

    Anyway, gorgeous review, lovely. LOVE THE GIFS.

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha such funny to your first couple of lines. Anyhooow, the thing about Ryke.. he's so straightforward with everyone and really doesn't care about other people's opinions, and it doesn't bother me when he's rough with people, but with Lily? I just want him to shut it and be more kind to her. Accept her awkwardness. Other than that, he's a perfect character :) so you can hold your hand lol.

      Delete
  3. You said the magic words: love-triangle-free! And, there's absolutely nothing wrong with some good ol' fashion fangirling. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can agree with your thoughts on Ryke and Lily. While I do love their friendship, I still cringe when Ryke is being mean to her (which is almost all of the time) but I like that Lily just kinda brushes it off. If she were affected by it then I'd definitely want to punch him right in the baby maker!

    I don't know why you were so worried about your review being too long. Quite honestly, I enjoyed reading it so much that I thought it was too short! *insert heart symbol here* I agree with your friend, Rashika, you're too cute with your fangirling and your feels. It's one of the reasons why I love reading your reviews and your posts. Hell, I'm beginning to read books and watch shows that you love because of it! Your fangirling is contagious! Seriously, you'll start a pandemic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to put Lily in my pocket and protect her from all the hate and bad stuff the universe throws at her, including Ryke's harsh comments. And you're right! Lily doesn't seem to turn that much attention to his comments and remarks, but if it bothered her, I'd be so angry with him no matter how much I love his character in all the other ways that matter. I wish he'd lay back a little and try to understand her, and by the end of Thrive, it really seems like he does. Baby maker, LOL, Jenn! ILY. Thank you for your kind words, lovely! *hugs*

      Delete
  5. Yes, yes, I definitely need to read this!! I've heard B&K Ritchie are pretty darn incredible, so I really need to experience their awesomeness. I have Addicted to You... I will vow to read it SOON! Like in the next few months. Before the winter. Yes, yes I will. Promises, promises. I'm pinky swearing myself. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa!!! You need to get started with this series :) I'm taking you on with that pinky swear, girl ;)

      Delete
    2. holding you on to* sorry, my brain cells have totally reduced because this terrible heat is melting EVERYthing. ugh.

      Delete
  6. Fab review! I was actually just discussing my warming up to Jonathan Hale with Becca the other day (great reference to Dan in OTH by the way *nods in agreement*). Gah, I loved all the HP references! That fangirl is completely accurate, I died with all the relationship developments. I for one am okay with Ryke and his blunt ways but I do hope to see him soften a little in the next book! BROMANCE AND SISTERHOOD. The best. So. Many. Feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved how Dan redeemed himself (as much as one can after Keith and everything), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Jonathan has the same fate. YESSS FEEEEEEEEEEELS!!!!

      Delete
  7. *sigh* I will get to this series Siiri, I WILL!!!!!! I'm thinking maybe closer to the holidays when I have some time off and can just binge read all of these books and become a total fangirl like you and Nick. I love how much you two (and Christy) love this series, and I can't wait to meet all these characters for myself.

    On a side note, that gif has me a little concerned - I'm still only on season one of Teen Wolf! It does not look like Stiles is in a good place there. *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. My poor baby! You really did slam my Ryke in this review, huh. I'm not sure we can be good friends anymore. I won't be able to tolerate your obvious frustration with him. :P JUST KIDDING! I like you too much to abandon you for Ryke! Sisters before misters after all! :D

    Anyways, now that I've typed up my daily dose of rubbish on your reviews, let's talk about this WONDERFUL review of yours! I completely agree with you about Ryke. He was a douche to Lily and while I understood where he was coming from, I still wanted to take Lily and hide her from his harsh words. I think it's hard not to grow overly protective of that girl. She is so cute and adorable and fragile (although she really isn't). It's also because she's had to go through so much shit in the media and from her parents, she doesn't need Ryke's bullshit!

    I LOOVE LOVE LOOOVE Lo and Lily together. They are so stinking cute and their relationship has grown so much more positive over the course of the books. They are definitely my favorite couple in the series. Also, their nerdiness is beyond adorable. I literally said out loud Siiri is going to love this when I saw the Sterek reference! HAHA! Did I mention it to you in the DMs? I don't think I did! I'm 100% convinced that that was a mini-dedication to you. :)

    I kind of love Jonathan Hale as well! He's awesome in a douchey way. I love to hate him as well. He's also making amends for his shitty behavior so that's nice to see. I do think he's going to slowly redeem himself as well and I'm crossing my fingers he will because these kids need a positive parent in their life.

    YES to the bromance! It was my favorite part of this novella! It was so awesome and the jokes, the "darlings", the "puppy"! GAAAH! I ship them all together! :D

    I'm excited for AAA now! I need that book in my life and I want more LiLo shipper feels! :D

    OK, I'm off now. Sorry for this short essay comment. -_- I couldn't control myself! I LOVED your review so much! As much as I love Ryke! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ack. I must, must make time for this series soon! I'm working towards slowing down my blog, and going to be making more time to read books I've purchase for myself. This series is on my short-list. I love your enthusiastic review, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw! I finished it and my review will be up on Monday. I don't have apron with how Ryke talks to Lily (probably cause he's one of my faves) and I think someone need to be straight with her. Most of the characters tend to baby her. And I've come to really like Johnathan. You can tell that he does Lo and Ryke and even Lily.

    Bromance, yes! Sister bond, yes! Harry Potter references, yes! I loved it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: a problem not aprob lol and to clarify I don't have a problem with how they all treat lily (babying wise) . she's been through a lot.

      Delete
  11. I'm going to read this series one right after the other. I'll get to it soon, promise, Siiri! I just can't ignore your excitement and love for all the character and the Ritchie sisters' writing! Plus, I HAVE to have them done before their event I'm attending in October. Wonderful review, Siiri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'll have to binge read this series when I have the time so I can finally understand where you guys are coming from ;) I keep seeing these authors in some blogs I frequent, and it feels like their books are really awesome with so much raving and fangirling! I can't wait to see the bromance most especially. I think the camaderie among characters is just as important as the romantic ones, and I love it when there's an emphasis in them. Hopeful for that aspect to be delivered as well!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha, I think you could have just put the "fangirling meter" GIF in your review space and you'd be done ;) I have a feeling that you love this series very much... Not sure where I got that from, though.

    Hehe. In all seriousness, though, this sounds really good, though the cover puts me off a bit. (I really dislike those kind of covers.) I love that there's a "bromance": sometimes I like reading about that even more than I do about romance.

    Also, I have a feeling I may need to read this series :D
    Great review, Siiri <33

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOUR FANGIRLING KNOWS NO LIMITS. And this is why I love you.

    THE BROMANCE SCENE? I sometimes love bromances more than romances and I don't care if that's weird lol. They're just so cute in all their macho glory. They're always so 'tough' and then there are just these few moments when you see they really care about each other and it's adorable, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, Siiri. You have just successfully sold this series to me. I mean too much fangirling with everything and everyone in a series is something I haven't done in a long while. I love bromance, I hate love triangles and I adore tears and feels in my book and it seems like this series has it all. I am so going to start with this series as soon as possible so I can fangirl with you! Fantastic review, Siiri! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds totally amazing Siiri, I finally started Addicted To You and I'm really enjoying it, omg the sexual tension between Lo and the main girl is sooo sizzling. To have so many spin-offs means that this is amazing. Great review hun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know how to speak my language with that last paragraph about there being NO LOVE TRIANGLES. I need to commit to these and go for them! How many books are published vs. anticipated? Wondering if I should wait for them all to be released? I LOVEEE how much you love these books. Your enthusiasm is addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I ditto everything Lauren says! You're love for this series is infectious. I think I'm afraid of about the first 40% ish of the first book, which is partly why I've put it off (I don't know, I'm weird about starting books, it's always the hardest part for me), but also because I want to have enough time to read these back-to-back (if I can). I cant wait to finally meet all these characters. :) So glad this one lived up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete